• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel lines effect on fuel pressure

MS73HD302

Just recently went to 5/16 fuel line from 3/8 and I’ve lost fuel pressure from 5.5 to 4.5 seemed like the reverse would happen. I’m got my pencil ready would some please explain... went with smaller lines bc my electric fuel selector valve requires 5/16 lines, manual pump, Holley regulator, 3 fuel filters (after pump and two before valve) 1850 single feed carb. Thanks everybody!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you added filters versus what you had before, or went to more restrictive filters, then you could definitely see a 20% reduction in pressure due to pressure drop across those things.

OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

Makes sense, I added the two around the valve per instructions and they are the metal ones compared to the see through one up by the carb.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Makes sense, I added the two around the valve per instructions and they are the metal ones compared to the see through one up by the carb.

Which metal ones are you using, a sintered bronze type or more of a stainless steel mesh type? To what micron level are they rated? Generally speaking, the smaller the particle filtration, the greater the pressure drop.

OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

They look like a keg of beer honestly. not sure what brand they came with the Jeff’s bronco aux tank kit

Attachments

• 10ED7D35-5CFE-4EB4-8591-59D858B78A62.jpeg
    10ED7D35-5CFE-4EB4-8591-59D858B78A62.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

What troubles me about it is the see through filter barely has any fuel in it when running where it used to be half way full all the time. I haven’t messed with the regulator yet to see if it fills more or not with more pressure. Worried about starvation when climbing hills in 2cnd getting up to speed. Runs like a top though as is

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They look like a keg of beer honestly. not sure what brand they came with the Jeff’s bronco aux tank kit

That type of filter generally runs a paper filter element inside, same as the translucent plastic ones, and pressure drop through those types of filters should be minimal, so I don't know why you saw a 20% reduction in pressure.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the filter seemingly empty is a sign of sucking air from between the tank and the pump. loose fitting or hose clamp or a bad o-ring on the fuel selector switch. this could help explain a loss of pressure too.

OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

Makes sense, around the valve and the sender it’s damp like fuel might be able to escape but juuust barely and night just be the grease i used to get things to slide on. This valve has plastic where you clamp it so very cautious when it comes to tightening the clamps. Poor design imo.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What carb are you running? Just wondering if it has it's own filter (like a stock carb), and if it might just be happier with the lower pressure anyway. Some carbs much prefer low pressure vs high.

And ignoring all the other possibilities, for a given volume of flow, won't the larger diameter tubing automatically flow at the same, or a lower pressure by natural laws of physics?
Pushing the same volume of liquid through a smaller opening raises pressure. The reverse is true too, unless the volume of flow is great enough to overcome the loss with the larger hole/tube.
I am probably over-simplifying a more complex issue, but that's what popped into my head right off.

Your two filters prior to the valve are basically one per tank, correct?
And clear filters up top have been the source of much consternation for 50 years when they refuse to fill all the way up while running. Even at half empty, if the engine is running and the float bowl is full, then having air trapped in the filter is not an impediment.
I've seen it both ways, with full filters to half (or less) filled filters while running. Can't explain the dynamics, but it's how they operate sometimes. And with modern (read, crappy) fuel pumps there's probably even more likelihood that both volume and pressure are low enough that they won't overcome the natural tendency for the filter to stay "un-full" even when the pump is pumping.

You can try different things, but if it's running and can handle a long uphill slog on the highway, you should be good.
Maybe that would be a good test. Find a local highway with a long hill if you have such near you, and give that hill a long blast at speed.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
This is an easy fix. Just go the OE Ford set up, IE one filter on the carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, no regulator, and 5/16" line between the pump and carb. This system worked flawlessly for about 25 yrs. till I decided to "upgrade" to a 4 bbl. The 4 bbl worked OK once I tuned it but it didn't prove to be an upgrade, no better power or MPGs. Now I know better than buy into the hype for so called "upgrades".

OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

1850-2 Holley vacuum secondaries I believe it does have a screen in the single inlet. I also figured it would raise pressure but more than likely sucking air in turn lowering pressure.....Tightened all the clams and gained .5 pressure bringing it up to 5 which is fine it is also steady throughout the rpm range runs strong and just did a solid hill climb 3k rpms for a good 30 seconds till slamming it into third with plenty of power still. North MS hills arent mountains by any means.

Brought the second tank back since it came from factory with one and just didn’t like the mechanical level under the seat. I used to run a 4100 without regulator and it was a pig but that was very new into my mechanic hobby and I’m still learning often on this site.

At the metal filters I used the supplied clips that you use pliers to put on and they aren’t near as tight as the ones you screw one going to swap those out next.

OP
OP
MS73HD302

MS73HD302

All good now filter half full and pressures back to normal. The clips I used for the filters weren’t holding anything%) and simply swapped out for some screw tight ones.
Thank you to everyone for chiming in.