• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel neck hose

Dirt71

I’ve got a bad leak when I’m pumping gas into the half cab. Pretty sure it’s the rubber hose. I looked under there last night and saw weathered cracks in it. My question is: do I need to drop the leaf spring or even the gas tank? Looked like a booger to get to

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Is it the front or rear tank? I’ve had a leak in a front tank. After looking at the hose from my underneath, removal of front tank was def the easier method for sure…unless you have a well trained child that can reach the areas easily.

Randy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've done both without removing the tanks. But I remember at the time hoping the hoses lasted forever and that I never had to do that again!

paul

OP
OP
Dirt71

Dirt71

Is it the front or rear tank? I’ve had a leak in a front tank. After looking at the hose from my underneath, removal of front tank was def the easier method for sure…unless you have a well trained child that can reach the areas easily.

Randy
It’s the rear tank

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
It’s the rear tank
I seem to remember looking at replacing the fill hose and vent hose on the main tank with the intent to replace them at same time as the Auxiliary tank. Decided that the rear tank hoses would NOT get changed out unless 1) it started leaking a major amount or 2) the tank got dropped to make it an easier prospect.
I’m not as flexible or have the hand strength as I once was.

Randy

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
can replace either vent or fill hose tank in place, but have strong hands. Cut to about 1 1/2 inch longer than measuring pipe bump to bump. Warm the hose in hot water, use soapy water, after you really cleaned of the pipe. Key is clean pipe, and lubricant. KY works but is messy.

OP
OP
Dirt71

Dirt71

Thanks ppl…I’m gonna drop the tank…strap insulators are deteriorated and need replaced as well…

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the tank neck is long enough to push the hose on it and pull back over the filler neck. its a total pain in the ass you only want to do once. i used liquid dish soap which helps and hurts as much as it helps. once you get all slimy on the outside your done. don't forget to put the hose clamps on first. Tape them out of the way. lifted Broncos are harder to do as you have to hold up yourself at the same time. razor knife the old hose length wise.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this for a 71?
For anyone contemplating doing this on a 70 or earlier without the charcoal canister system, but planning to add said EVAP system, this is a good time to change your filler neck to the later style too.

This is only important if you’re contemplating updating your bronco to include a charcoal canister system. If you don’t have any gas smell in the garage and don’t care to update, then changing to the newer fill neck would not be necessary or make any sense.

Because doing the hose is such a pain, changing the neck while the old one is already removed would make that job much easier.