• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel pump gets hot new info

tompdog7

i just wired my electric fuel pump directly to the battery and grounded it in the negative side of the battery. it still gets hot without the truck even running. should it do this. when i start it it eventually vaporlocks and dies. i have moved it to the back of the frame rail by the tank. is the battery bad???? any help would be appreciated.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
If there is no fuel going through it , then it will get hot. Electric fuel pumps will generate heat, and the harder they work the hotter they will get. They work harder if they pump more fuel ( meaning that they don't push against any pressure).
How many feet of fuel line between the pump and the tank? How big is the filter between the tank and the pump? Is this a high pressure pump or a low pressure pump? How close is the exhaust to the pump? filter?
Tom

cynrays

Try another fuel pump. I got mine at auto zone for about 28 dollars. I mounted it on the fender well. I had to prime it by putting a piece of hose on the outlet side of the pump and below the tank and sucked on it. When you get the fuel running out of the pump, you can hook it back up and it should work then. Mine does not run hot. I connected the hot wire to an ignition wire and the negative side to the frame...

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm not clear on the description of your wiring. Mine gets power when the key is in the on position. The pump is grounded to the frame.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Socal Tom said:
If there is no fuel going through it , then it will get hot. Electric fuel pumps will generate heat, and the harder they work the hotter they will get. They work harder if they pump more fuel ( meaning that they don't push against any pressure).
How many feet of fuel line between the pump and the tank? How big is the filter between the tank and the pump? Is this a high pressure pump or a low pressure pump? How close is the exhaust to the pump? filter?
Tom
Tom - if the pump is running with no demand, then there is a problem right? They operate on a flow regulator type switch (at least that's how it worked when I had one), so if there was pressure on the switch (engine isn't running so no fuel flow, no demand), then the pump isn't operating. So -- it sounds like it's not picking fuel up out of the tank to to be running with no demand -- sucking air. Does that make sense? If it were me, I would start at the tank - make sure it's vented properly and not creating a vacuum. In addition -- I posted earlier on this -- make sure your wiring is correctly sized -- those pumps have a big amp requirement..what's it fused at? are you using a relay? But to me, it sounds like a flow issue.

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

i think it might be that the gas cap is wrong. it is not vented and maybe the pump is working too hard. it does this worse when the tank is half full. i am going to try it with the gas cap off. i'll let yall know what happens