• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Pump Rebuilds

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious when it comes to mechanical fuel pump replacement or rebuilds. What do you guys/gals do and if rebuilds, what do you get charged and where from? Thanks - Tim

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I have always had great results using a new Carter 6588 mechanical pump when replacing an old worn out one. Never had any issues with them and they last for many years, trouble free. I'm not sure they can be rebuilt but, a new one is only about $30.00 or so. This is for the V8 engine, the number for the inline 6 is 6399. The last time I bought one at CARQUEST I had to wait a day for them to get one from the warehouse.
Mark.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use carter mechanical fuel pumps for my 1974. I have replaced them 3 times in 40 years. Carter fuel pumps are the only fuel pumps that I have any hope that when I buy a pump it has the most up to date diaphragm materials to combat modern fuels. living in California and its modern fuel requirements I have better hope that the Carter is more likely to be up to date than something built as cheep as possible from a 3rd world country.
Modern diaphragm materials are not cheep.
with fuel pumps costing from 10.00 to 21.00 dollars why go cheep and take chances.
How they make a mechanical fuel pump for 10 bucks and make money at it, I don't know.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1974,bronco,5.0l+302cid+v8,1105568,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Carter made rebuildable fuel pumps in the '60s-early '70s for performance engines. These are now high dollar muscle car parts. The rebuilding kits cost more than the new non-rebuildable pumps.I usually get about 10 yrs service from a new Carter pump. The only combination vacuum/fuel pumps used on '66-'69s with vacuum wipers, are the rebuildable type.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Avoid the brand sold by AutoZone. I had two each lasted about a year - I drive maybe 3k a year!