• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Tank Cleaning

DJT

Contributor
I've decided to remove my auxiliary tank and just go with the rear 23 gallon NWMP tank that the p.o. put in because I don't so a lot of long distance or off-road driving.
I dropped the rear tank and basically it's 99% clean, not sure if it was ever used.
My question is, do I need to seal it once I clean it thoroughly?
KBS and Red Cote are kinda pricy but would it be foolish not to seal it seeing I already dropped the tank?

If you all recommend sealing it then my next question would be how do you get the sealant around the baffle/inner wall of the tank to make sure everything on the other side is coated?
Thanks for any responses...

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Had my auxiliary hot tanked by a radiator shop. No leaks so we put some paint on it and mounted it up. No leaks in 2.5 years

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would skip the sealer. Some sealers are not happy with some of the additives in fuels and can turn to goo. Maybe not the first tank, but are you sure that the sealer today will work with the additives of tomorrow? Sometimes they can flake off and be a bigger problem than rust as well.

You have a clean tank, you are not having issues that would need sealing.
Stock tanks are thin and last decades, NWMP tank is much thicker. Run it bare.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I have a 23 gal. NWMP tank with a build date 1987. Tore the Bronco apart in 1997-98.
Fast forward to 2012, started putting it back together and thought I would need a new tank.
Pulled the sending unit and to my surprise (I had enough sense back then to drain it) and other than a little residue on the bottom it was clean. It looked like it was made out of galvanized steel.
Been running it for 1-1/2 years now.
Inspect the inside and if it looks good rinse it out with some kerosene and run it.

OP
OP
D

DJT

Contributor
Thanks for the reply guys.
Broncobowsher and Glass Pony, that's how I'm leaning. I've read some threads here regarding sealant flaking off ... so I think I 'll just clean it and run it.