• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel tank selector switch

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
I need to replace the EFI fuel tank selector switch on my 69 Bronco. The toggle switch is bad that came with the Holley EFI dual tank kit. I want to use the wild horses switch, has anyone used one for an EFI dual tank setup?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not familiar with the Holley switch, but the stock old switches are a very common failure point after so many years.
Our switch is just a standard stock replacement (#6340 kit, or #6341 switch only) but will work fine on most electric tank switches.
I have used them with both the more common simple 1-wire solenoid valves (such as our #9720), and the six-port, multi-wire motorized valves.
No problem for either over a long period of time.

The only thing I've never connected to one would be dual fuel pumps in each tank. But that should not be a bit issue either, as the pumps are most likely best run through a relay anyway. So any additional load on the dash switch from switching pumps would be minimal.

Paul

OP
OP
W

weekend warrior

Loc.
Seabeck, WA
can you provide some sort of a wiring diagram? When I called wild horses they acted like one didn't exist and they had me on hold while they went and looked at a bronco on the floor?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry we weren't able to help you on the phone. Is there a diagram on Holley's website? The layout in Steve83's diagram above is for a generic aftermarket setup, but not necessarily Holley-specific.
The only one we are going to have to look at here is the factory switch, which is only for the gauges and has nothing to do with either switching tanks, or EFI in general terms.
Since neither an electrically operated valve, or EFI were available from the factory, we're relying on you to let us know what you've got.

Can you take some pictures of what you're talking about? If the truck originally came with dual tanks from Ford, it would have had a simple toggle switch like this: Fuel Gauge Switch to switch tank senders to the gauge, but the actual switching valve for the fuel was a manual valve on the floor under the driver's seat and looked similar to (but not exactly like) this one on the right: Tank Selector Valves With the one on the left being a common retrofit.
Anything else, whether from Holley or any other company is an unknown at this point. At least to me.
If others have used a Holley dual tank kit, maybe they can chime in with more info.

So we can't do anything until you let us know what you have exactly. So far we only know you have some sort of a Holley switch which none of the members who've responded so far appear to be familiar with.
Pictures would likely clear it up though. More often than not they help immensely.

You can't post them directly here unless you become a contributor for 12 bucks a year. But you can use your "garage" feature in your User CP above for at least some images.
Or you can utilize another online hosting site like SuperMotors and link your images here.
Or in a pinch you can e-mail them to me at paulb@wildhorses4x4.com and I can post them up for everyone else to see if they recognize what you have.

Hopefully we can figure it out. But if it looks like that switch I linked to above, then Steve83's other diagrams should cover it.

I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

Paul