• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel tank vent question

slow91fj90

Loc.
Centreville, VA
After searching and reading a bunch Im getting more confused. While setting up my fuel system for the EFI, I noticed the previous owner had no vent hooked up on the tank, he had a hose just looping back into tank. I never noticed gas smell or tank leaking and stuff like that. Now I after installing the high pressure and return to the tank I still have a empty slot for a vent. Im not sure what to do because I dont have a charcoal canister. Can I just run a hose to a breather up high or similar?

Also how do I tell if I have a vented gas cap?

Thanks

OP
OP
S

slow91fj90

Loc.
Centreville, VA
Still not sure what to do about this, the more I read, the more Im getting frustrated. Can I just cap the vent? Since my truck is a 77 it has the vent tube with the filler? Im at wits end over this stupid thing. Need help;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You need some kind of vent. Either a hose from the tank or a vented cap. The 5/8" vent in the filler tube is just the venr for filling the tank. It does no good once the cap is installed.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
The problem I ran into was the vented caps only vent air in, not out. My tank on a hot day would create enough positive pressure in the tank to cause my sending unit gasket to leak fuel.
I had just capped off the BC vent port on the tank vs. hooking up the charcoal system.

My short term fix was to drill a small hole in my gas cap.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
viperwolf1 has it right. I built the tank with 2 5/16" tubes, 1 for EFI return and the other for a vent. Either will work for either. If you use a carb you can cap one but still need to use the other for a vent. If you use a hose up high that will work but if you keep your EB in the garage you will get gas smells. You can get a charcoal filter from most 80s-90s cars and trucks but the best setup is what came in the EB. The new tanks use -AN6 fittings for the fuel out and return, if you order it for carb we put a -AN cap on the return. I moved the vent to the rear of the tank and left it straight tubing.