• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel vent canister

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm thinking about hooking up a a fuel vent canister again on my 74 to reduce the garage gas fumes. I have the original canister but all the tubes are cut and I have no idea where they are supposed to go. Also my charcoal canister is long gone. I assume I can find a junk yard canister that will work. Does anyone have a diagram of where all the hoses are supposed to go?

backpain

Bronco Guru
check the tech section for an article and schematics of the plumbing of the expansion tank.

the expansion tank won't fix the fumes if you still vent to the atmosphere - the charcoal canister is what you need. Do a search on it and you will find lots of junk yard and new(old) car alternatives. Most are slightly different size or shape but will still work fine.

Also, check out some Jeep sites - tons of donor vehicle charcoal canister talk

Good luck

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I know I'll need a charcoal canister but I was unable to find the diagram in my shop manual that shows how it all goes together. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well a vent line from the fuel tank goes to the canister and another line goes to the carb or air cleaner from the canister. When running the fumes are drawn into the motor and burned off. (Simple explaination)

Typically in later Broncos they took the line off the top of the tank and there was some sort of roll-over prevention check valve. There was a 1/4" metal line that ran under the rig, attached to the body and frame, up to the engine compartment. 76-77 Broncos has the canister mounted on the passenger side fire wall. Earlier than that had them mounted to the frame to the rear of the passenger wheel well.
Enclosed is a picture of my 77, 1/4" line in from the tank, metal flex line to the air cleaner, and another 1/4" that should be going from the canister to the top of the carb where the rubber cap is...

Attachments

• C-Canister.JPG
    C-Canister.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Carb front.JPG
    Carb front.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 165

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167620&highlight=charcoal+canister
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176716&highlight=charcoal+canister

To get the fumes out of the charcoal canister on an EFI motor you have a couple options. If using a stock harness you can use the canister purge valve between the charcoal canister and engine vacuum. The ECM will enable the valve at the proper time. Another option (or if using an aftermarket harness without CAN/P wiring) is to connect the charcoal canister to the filtered air going to the mass air meter (between air filter and MAF). The low vacuum there will suck the fumes into the engine constantly. If using this option you should probably use a small filter on the large charcoal canister vent.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I found this; http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/eng...-canister-hookup-your-car-cure-gas-stink.html My 71s system had been removed but the stock tanks were still in place,so I used this set-up that's ford but a little newer and adaptable. One thing different is this truck had one tank and I have two,so off the tanks I ran 5/16" steel line that Y together and from that point 3/8" steelline to the area of the stock charcoal canaster and this is were this system will take over.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Side tank as well? Couldn't you vent the tanks to each other? Seems like an easy fix, not sure what problems it could cause though

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Side tank as well? Couldn't you vent the tanks to each other? Seems like an easy fix, not sure what problems it could cause though

Fuel transfer under certain conditions, pressurizing of the tanks, or vapor lock comes to mind as possibilities...

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Fuel transfer under certain conditions, pressurizing of the tanks, or vapor lock comes to mind as possibilities...
Only filling it up 3/4 would solve all of those, no? I will be hooking up the filler neck vent line

Im currently putting my aux back up and really dont want to run additional lines to some charcoal canister up front

So my only options are:

1) Vent the tanks to each other and cross my fingers
2) Cap the vent lines, sniff fuel all day and pray I dont over pressurize the tanks during the summer
3) Run a charcoal canister

Sorry for hijacking...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You do realize the tanks need some venting in order for fuel to be pumped out of them, right?

This is one of those wheels that really doesn't need to be re-invented. Use the stock system or make one like it.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
You do realize the tanks need some venting in order for fuel to be pumped out of them, right?

This is one of those wheels that really doesn't need to be re-invented. Use the stock system or make one like it.
This is my first carb'd/mech pump vehicle and first time working on a fuel system. Spent Friday looking at all of the setups on the Barrett Jackson Broncos. Also stopped by Driven Auto Parts in Phx. They told me to cap the vent lines and put a pinhole in the filler neck to vent the tank. Probably an offroading type of mod, not something I want to do.

I have the vapor canister but no charcoal canister, yet. Im gonna stop by a junkyard to pick one up. I have spent too much time on this aux tank install already, so I want to do it right and be done with it. If I mount the charcoal canister higher than the fuel lines, I can eliminate the vapor canister? If I mount the canister on the frame, I would have to run the vapor canister to keep fuel out of the charcoal canister? No plans to go EFI. I want to be able to completely fill both 12 gallon tanks and not smell fuel

I have 4 lines that I need to run(2 on each tank). Can all 4 go to a charcoal canister? Seems most canisters only have 2 ports from what Ive seen. Run a Y connector before the canister? Or could the return lines be run between the tanks and only run the vent lines to a charcoal canister? I think I have this figured out but let me know! Thanks

Any benefit to running a vented cap if doing any of the above? Would it change anything?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
'70-'76 used the condensor tank behind the driver and a low mounted charcoal canister. The tank kept liquid fuel out of the charcoal. You can do that easily since you already have the condensor tank. '77 used a high mounted charcoal canister and a rollover valve to prevent fuel runout if the vehicle landed on it's lid.

There is one vent line coming from the top of each tank. The rear tank ('70-'76) also had a return line from the condensor tank. The top of the condensor tank was vented to the charcoal canister.