• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel vent line. good idea or bad?

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
read quite a few post about the subject, gas smell outside the vehicle, raw gas running into vent line, charcoal canister, expansion tank ect ect. and had an idea and was wondering if its a bad idea or not and wanted some opinions.

my plan is drill a hole into the top of the fuel filler pipe as close and as high as possible (just behind quarter panel) and weld on a nipple of some sort and attach a hose/tubing to it and run that down the fuel filler pipe along the frame into a charcoal canister under ther hood, plug the vent on the fuel tank (not filler vent tube)

*by installing on top of the fuel filler pipe this would prevent raw fuel from getting in the line (unless u fill the tank extrememly full)
*the fuel filler pipe would server as the expansion tank.

does this seem a descent solution to some problems i've read?

OP
OP
J

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
It's funny how when u ask for a few opinions all I get is one, don't ask and u get all kind of opinions.:)

Hmm....sounds kind of cool. Be careful welding the nipple on.

Thanks for responding, I plan to completely remove fill tube, don't wanna go BOOM.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I had a fuel filler pipe like that. The vent line was steel tube piggy backed and welded to the outside of the filler pipe. at the top it plumbed into the filler tube and at the bottom it was connected with a short piece of hose.

The only thing you lose is anywhere for vapors to off gas if you have a good cap. If the fuel/vapors expand you still have a closed system so it's pressurizing and or creating a vacuum if air can't get in.

My current setup is a hose from the vent run along the filler up to the cap with a small inline paper fuel filter at the top to block the gas smell. Works great and easier to accomplish!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I used the vent that went to my charcoal canister (missing) and attached ss braided line bringing it up to the engine compartment and put one of those little K&N filters on it. I like your idea better though so keep me posted.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I had a fuel filler pipe like that. The vent line was steel tube piggy backed and welded to the outside of the filler pipe. at the top it plumbed into the filler tube and at the bottom it was connected with a short piece of hose.

The only thing you lose is anywhere for vapors to off gas if you have a good cap. If the fuel/vapors expand you still have a closed system so it's pressurizing and or creating a vacuum if air can't get in.

My current setup is a hose from the vent run along the filler up to the cap with a small inline paper fuel filter at the top to block the gas smell. Works great and easier to accomplish!

Been thinking about this issue lately as well. I have my vent lines capped on tank and I'm running what I think is a vented cap.

Did you just run this up next to the filler pipe and end it near the cap? Any concern about vapors building up in that well space there?

OP
OP
J

jon_eds

Loc.
forest

think i maybe a litte misunderstood, havent done it yet so i cant take pics.
*drill a hole in the fuel filler neck up high
*weld something over this hole to attach a hose
*run the hose and/or tubing along the frame rail to charcoal canister under hood.
*cap the vent on the tank.

in essence i'm just moving fuel tank vent to the fuel filler neck (up higher). fuel will expand forcing the vapors up the fuel filler neck and out newly installed vent, through hose/tubing toward charcoal canister. And any expansion of fuel will happen toward fuel filler neck not having an expansion tank.

make sense?

Last edited:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I bought one of those very small air filters for my new BC efi tank. I zip tied it to the top of the fuel filler pipe on inside of panel as high as it could go.

I like your solution.Although I would braze a nipple bc the pipe is thin and maybe rusty like mine. Off of it would be one inch line, small fuel filter then rest of line to vent line outlet of tank.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
think i maybe a litte misunderstood, havent done it yet so i cant take pics.
*drill a hole in the fuel filler neck up high
*weld something over this hole to attach a hose
*run the hose and/or tubing along the frame rail to charcoal canister under hood.
*cap the vent on the tank.

in essence i'm just moving fuel tank vent to the fuel filler neck (up higher). fuel will expand forcing the vapors up the fuel filler neck and out newly installed vent, through hose/tubing toward charcoal canister. And any expansion of fuel will happen toward fuel filler neck not having an expansion tank.

make sense?

I understand what you are saying about putting the vent back into the filler tube but why would you run it to the charcoal cannister? Just run the tank vent to the cannister or get a little fuel filter. You need the vent on the top pf the tank to let vapors escape when filling up. Its less work!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And there is also the gas cap change from vented to non-vented.

Any plans for controlling the vapors coming off the carburator? A closed air cleaner with a snorkle (underhood is fine, doesn't need to be that huge) does a good job keeping the gas vapors contained and ready to be burned on the next start.

OP
OP
J

jon_eds

Loc.
forest
I am in no way trying to argue but still have to ask. How is it a closed system when vapors go out the "newly installed vent" toward the charcoal canister and then on to the air cleaner then carb and or efi to be burned. Just want to move the vent higher so gas want fill the vapor line and maybe charcoal canister. i guess in a way it is a closed system but the vapors have somewhere to go, be stored, then burned. the only reason i am trying to do this is to eliminate any gas smell outside the vehicle when parked enclosed. i won't be modifying the existing fill tube vent in anyway on the tank or the fill tube. And I'm using a 23gallon tank.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
I am in no way trying to argue but still have to ask. How is it a closed system when vapors go out the "newly installed vent" toward the charcoal canister and then on to the air cleaner then carb and or efi to be burned. Just want to move the vent higher so gas want fill the vapor line and maybe charcoal canister. i guess in a way it is a closed system but the vapors have somewhere to go, be stored, then burned. the only reason i am trying to do this is to eliminate any gas smell outside the vehicle when parked enclosed. i won't be modifying the existing fill tube vent in anyway on the tank or the fill tube. And I'm using a 23gallon tank.

use the stock tank vents then route the tubing up along the filler neck then to the vapor bottle then to your charcoal canister.