• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full floating rear end problem.

rlm18

Loc.
Broken Bow, OK
I have a dana 44 full floating rear end with a Detroit locker. My hubs keep unlocking internally. They show locked on the outside but internally the flange? is stuck in "free". I cannot turn the dial on or off the wheel. Does this set up work? Can it be driven on the highway? Or is something wrong with axle or locker? I have a Dana 20 twin stick transfer case so I have been getting around in front wheel drive. Is that ok? Thank you in advance for any info. My phone is not allowing me to search the threads to look for topics I'd there happens to be any other posts about the topic.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The cheap metal in the hub kept bending so they wouldn't lock or unlock. A couple times I was able to pull em apart and bend em close enough they would work for a bit. I still keep the hubs on the shelf .I think most guys with the warn floaters have switched to the flanges. Also got tired of the hubs leaking gear oil out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When I was comparing specs on the warn floater hubs they looked to be Dana 60 hubs with the Allen screw to hold em in place. I thought of buying better hubs and adding the lock screw to em. Was looking at mm ultimates back then. They no longer make those but now Yukon and maybe Dynatrak are making all steel hubs.

bludorbronc

I run a 35 spline full floater. At first i tried heavy duty warn locks but like you I ussually broke the left rear first, now I run slugs too.my floater has a spindle bolted to the housing. Where the spindle Bolts in I use a o ring, no oil leaks there. Where the cap goes into the hub I use an o ring twice the thickness as stock,no leaking from there. For the lock out Allene I throw the little Allen o rings away and use silicon gasket sealer. No leaks from there. I have not leaked for years.good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I was comparing specs on the warn floater hubs they looked to be Dana 60 hubs with the Allen screw to hold em in place. I thought of buying better hubs and adding the lock screw to em. Was looking at mm ultimates back then. They no longer make those but now Yukon and maybe Dynatrak are making all steel hubs.

From my understanding...
Warn made 2 versions. First Dana 44 based. After lots of failures and issues went to something larger. Not sure it is a 60, but bigger than a 44. Still had issues. Pulled the kits from the market and have ran out of most spare parts, at least the ones people need.