• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FULL SIZE BRONCO SWAP -how much trouble?

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
o.k., before the "search police" start in on this -save it. i already did a search, and if i found the info i wanted, i would be working not typing. there are a number of mid-to-late 80's broncos around here that are for sale at very good prices. if i were to get one with a good motor, trans, and transfer case, how much trouble would it be to do a complete drive-train swap? i am looking at automatic trucks with 302 motors and auto trannys. my 68 has a 289 with a 3 speed manual in it. i will buy the entire full-size and get all of the working parts with it. i know the motor and trans will bolt it, but there is that whole matter of the adapter to the 68 dana 20. that is why i want to use the transfer case off the newer (donor) truck. would it be fairly easy to buy/fabricate supports and mounts for the tranny and transfer case? i figure if i can buy a whole setup then all i would need is to tow it to a shop and have custom drive shafts made.
i am planning to do the drivetrain this winter and i want to know exactly what i am doing BEFORE i get into it. i posted the other day that my neighbor will give me a newer 289 with a C-4, but when i look into the adapters, they are about 500 bucks and the description clearly states that you may have to re-use some old parts and have a shaft cut etc. i dont know about you guys, but uncertainty is not a good friend of mine. i would rather spend money once than twice. i am sick of all the variables with a motor swap you need to worry about which years and which flywheels/balancers/flexplates. when you swap trannys you need adapters and spud shafts, input shafts cut. i just want to buy a running setup and do what i need to do. that is why i am thinking of going with a whole drivetrain from a running truck.
anyone with knowledge of doing this swap -please help me out. any "search cops" out there, get back to work.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Just drop the EB tub onto the later model chassis. Make the body mounts work and you are good to go. Example: Find a 79 chassis with a 351M and trans of your choice, Swap motor with a 460, swap tubs with an EB tub and make everything work.

I make it sound simple, huh?
It can be done, It has been done.....

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
fitpays said:
o.k., before the "search police" start in on this -save it. i already did a search, and if i found the info i wanted, i would be working not typing.

;D that made me laugh for some reason....

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Your problem will most likely be the transfercase. The t-case on the 80's Ford will be two wide to fit between your framerails on the EB. Most 80's trucks had either a NP208 or a BorgWarner case. You might be able to clock the case down to fit, but then it would hange way below the frame. Both cases are weaker chain design than your dana20.

Your better bet would be to find a late 70's Ford with a C-6 and a NP205. Or you can get the motor and tranny out of an 80's truck and try to find a NP205 case for it. Should bolt right up, but I am not positive on that fact.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you look someone put up some pic. of one done and they realey mickey moused the frame to clear the T/case. Go the way Mad said and have fun. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
fitpays

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
thanks guys. in light of all of this, i am looking for a C-4 complete with transfer case out of an early bronco. that way i know everything will fit and has worked together. then i can either put the stock motor on it if i rebuild it or i can use a crate motor for it. the trick now will be to find a tranny and transfer case the are together and working. anyone with one for sale please contact me at fitpays@yahoo.com. i guess as a kid when i had a camaro and small block chevy stuff all matched up and worked spoiled me. thanks for the insight guys -i got exactly what i asked for, as usual.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D If you look someone put up some pic. of one done and they realey mickey moused the frame to clear the T/case. Go the way Mad said and have fun. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p
Do you mean this picture?

Attachments

• frame.JPG
    frame.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 64

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Most of them through the 80's will have a C6 tranny that will bolt right up to a NP 205 transfer case. The 205 is considerably stronger than a Dana 20 but also doesn't have as low of gears. For about the same cost as the Dana 20 adapter you mentioned you can add a 203 range box doubler between the C6 and 205 and get a lot lower gears than the Dana 20. (4:1 vs 2.46:1) The biggest issue using a NP 205 will be the cross member which needs to be custom fabricated. If you look to the left and select "C6 203 205 Doubler" from the tech section you can see how I did my cross member for ideas. If you decide to do it with just the 205 without the 203 range box most of it will still apply in principle. If you get a late 80's Bronco then it will have fuel injection and might be a 5.8 which is a plus but the intake is high which many don't care for. (It will not fit under a stock hood even with a body lift) I chose to keep the tall intake on my 5.8 truck motor which provides great low end torque and I built a custom hood scoop to fit around it. (The car intakes fit under the hood but are designed for increased horsepower rather than increased torque) What you suggest is very doable as long as you change to a different transfer case and it doesn't require changing the entire body. If you run a search for SecondChance here it will turn up my brothers 70 which has pretty much the same setup. I.E. 302 bolted to a C6 with a NP 205 behind it. His differs from mine in that he doesn't have a doubler 203 bolted in it.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
the NP208 and BW1356 won't fit in the frame rails without heavy mods. If you can find an 80's Bronco though, grab the C-6 and the 1356 gear reduction. A guy on Pirate makes a kit to use the reduction of a 1356 to an NP205. I would find the link but my hands hurt right now.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
fitpays said:
o.k., before the "search police" start in on this -save it. i already did a search, and if i found the info i wanted, i would be working not typing.

That gave me a laugh also.

I ignore the "Search Police". There's nothing wrong with suggesting that you search, but you don't have to jump on somebody for not doing it. Nobody is required to respond to a thread.
My thoughts are that even if you search and find lots of info there still may be someone on this board that didn't respond to what you found that might have very helpful info. They may respond to your new post. AND I have had members PM me with helpful info that if hadn't re-asked the same old question I wouldn't have received.

Good luck with your project.