• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full Width Axles 76 F-100

Buddy's 70

I have a chance to get fw dana44 and 9in out of a 76 F-100.I have seen write ups about the 78-79 BB/Fullsize trucks,but not much on the 76 fullsize.Is there a lot of fab work involved that is different from the 78-79 axles?What disadvantages are there by going full width(other than the obvious of being wider) as opposed to staying stock width?Has anyone that has gone full width wished that they would have stayed stock?My bronco is used 50% street/50% mountains and sand dunes.If I go full width,how much could I sell my 76 Bronco Dana 44 w/disks and HD 9in?Both have LS and are 3.50 gears.Thanks in advance.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I went FW on mine because my whole drivetrain was shot when I got my truck. It was a good excuse to add all the things most people want. Disc brakes, power steering, hydroboost, (efi, np435, etc etc), so no looking back on my part.

You'll have to check, but I think the F100 probably has welded wedges, which is nice but not absolutely necessary, beyond that if it has disc brakes and is out of a power steering truck then I can't see any disadvantage to using it. '76 is new enough that its probably balljoint and not a kingpin axle, but you might want to check that too. Not a huge problem if it is. Some people like kingpin axles some like ball joint. Ball joints are a newer style, but I think kingpins are supposed to be stronger.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
76 is a good set to have. Ball joint,discs, welded wedges if you want to move them (I didnt) and the stronger webb rear housing... All good stuff!!! I sold both my EB axles for $1200 (4.11's,open front,discs/detroit rear d2d).
After the full width conversion on my sons rig, I was really impressed with the handleing and stability that was soooo much better I finally decided to mine also. you just have to figure out how your going to deal with the tires stick'n out an extra 3" on each side!!! Good luck!!

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I definitely have no reservations about going full width. The main thing to be aware of with the '76s that most people don't realize is that they are only 28 spline. Probably not a deal breaker, & an easy upgrade, but something to be aware of.

Fatboy6200

Does any one have some pics of there sping buckets with the 78/79 bbaxles I'm getting a set for my 74 and was wondering what route others have taken for the install