• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas tank baffles and wandering fuel gauge

allen

I have an older NWMP 23 gallon efi tank i bought through wild horses many years ago. Tank is out and heading for a cleaning. I was wondering if there was a way to stop the fuel level on the gauge from increasing and decreasing depending on whether im accelerating, going uphill, down hill etc…. Depending on the situatiuon, there is almost a 1/4 tank swing one way or another. Being that the new tanks are north of $1k id rather not have to buy a new one, unless the shop doing the cleaning discovers rust holes or something else
thanks
allen

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, that’s a new one on me.
I had the same tank from probably 30 years ago now, and never had that issue.
Not only do I believe that the tank is in fact baffled, although you can check that for yourself soon, the gauge should not react that quickly in the first place I do not believe.
They are dampened and compensated, I guess would be the proper term. They should not react quickly, so maybe there’s something else going on.
Do you have stock gauges? Stock instrument cluster regulator? Or something else?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A second suggestion would be to verify the angle of the sending unit/float when you remove it.
Then maybe put it in 90° different if it will fit that way.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I have an older NWMP 23 gallon efi tank i bought through wild horses many years ago. Tank is out and heading for a cleaning. I was wondering if there was a way to stop the fuel level on the gauge from increasing and decreasing depending on whether im accelerating, going uphill, down hill etc…. Depending on the situatiuon, there is almost a 1/4 tank swing one way or another. Being that the new tanks are north of $1k id rather not have to buy a new one, unless the shop doing the cleaning discovers rust holes or something else
thanks
allen
I got one of these: https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=346/mode=prod/prd346.htm

I have not used it yet, but when I saw how the standard sending unit and float were set-up, I wanted no part of it. I am using an older BC Broncos tank and here are my spec's:

1- T--ORG-12 - Fuel Sender
Fuel Sending Unit: 73-10 Ohms Tube Style Fuel Sender
Floatless Sender Length: 12 inch (+$13.00)
@ $112.00 ($112.00)

I deliberately left it a little high (short) to provide a reserve and keep me from running out of gas.