• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas tank "freshen up" question

jonmelton

Yesterday after adjusting my alignment, I lowered my Bronco off the jacks and got the fuel sloshing around in the tank and then noticed it started dripping out of the main tank. I lit a match and got close so I could see what was going on (kidding) but I noticed it was coming from two places on the tank.

This weekend I'm going to empty the main tank and check it, but I'm wondering what else I should be checking while I'm under there and what I should just plan to replace. My plan right now is to check all hoses and possibly pull the sending unit. I also want to check the evap lines and the charcoal canister. I'm worried about pulling my tank because I'm sure it's the original and I think it's rusted on there pretty good (and I don't want to use a torch to heat up the metal).

It's a 75, the gas gauge on the dash doesn't work so there have been a handful of times where the truck has run out of gas and I've had to put fuel in the carb and switch tanks to get it going again (so I know I've done some damage to some of the fuel components there). Every time I fill up my Aux tank it leaks when the gas runs into the overflow canister so I need to also fix that.

So yeah, anything I should add to my list? Common problems to check for?

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I'm one of those people that want to get into my vehicle and just drive it and not worry. And when something is in need of repair, I go back with new parts. I figure same labor so why not go back with good stuff. And Bronco parts are readily available.
If me and this is the original tank, I'd go back with new everything. Tank, rubber gas lines and new sending unit. It has been years since I removed my old gas tank, but as I remember it's just one strap holding it up there. Probably easiest to plan to cut that strap, get the tank out and replace tank, strap, etc. But that is me. I went with the Sherman Tank and am happy with it, in that I have lots of fuel capacity. Venting the tank hasn't been the easiest and is a work in progress. But on the whole I am happy with that money spent.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
JAFO is absolutely correct,I replaced both original tanks with a 23gal. Aero and soo glad I did,but it was during my resto so it was pretty easy to do.You might want to consider a 23gal. it eliminates a lot of old crap and makes driving the rig much easier and way more fun.Now cut those straps and get in there,lol,good luck. :cool:

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I have a newer stock replacement gas tank that started leaking last week around the sending unit. Pulling the tank is not that hard. Loosen-up about 4-5 hose clamps work the hoses loose and then loosen up the strap bolt. I used a transmission jack under mine to lower it, but it is not that heavy without gas in it.

When installing the sending unit, I highly recommend using some grease or vaseline on the gasket.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
make sure you clean the ground wire connections on the tank and frame. no ground no gauge.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

If I go the new tank route, what tank should I get? And, anything else I'll need to buy?

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Well, haven't dropped the tank yet but from inspecting it I have 2 wet gas spots on my main tank and a bad hose (probably more bad hoses). Can you buy new metal lines anywhere? Mine are pretty rusty.

I'll start a new thread, but any tank recommendations? Probably going with the 23 gallon, but is one tank better then the other?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Lots of options there.

BC and WH both have a great one.

But Aero will make you a custom one.

Lots of choices....

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
One the subject of keeping fuel fresh, my boating and racing car friends tell me to run StarTron additive with every fill-up, it bonds to the ethanol to help keep it from degrading. For long periods of storage, StaBil because it provides a layer on the top of fuel when not sloshing around to keep water from absorbing into the fuel.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
One the subject of keeping fuel fresh, my boating and racing car friends tell me to run StarTron additive with every fill-up, it bonds to the ethanol to help keep it from degrading. For long periods of storage, StaBil because it provides a layer on the top of fuel when not sloshing around to keep water from absorbing into the fuel.

That Startron is truly different. Great product.
The place I bought my boat from gave me a little box of 12 little concentrated bottles of it. Great for boats and other extended storage, ethanol sensitive engines....

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

I'm thinking of going with WH Sherman tank and BC lines. Knock it all out at once.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking of going with WH Sherman tank and BC lines. Knock it all out at once.

I know it's a big chunk of change but it's about the best extra capacity fuel tank solution out there.

Now you can get rid of that bomb....I mean auxilary tank sitting right under the driver.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First bronco only had the main tank. When I got the second I determined to get one with 2 tanks as I didn't like the single small tank issues I had before (stopping less than every 100 miles for fuel).
So the second bronco was a 2-tanker. That one I fixed up and put a nice 23 gallon main tank on it. Now that little 2nd tank was just annoying. It didn't hold much and the big tank had the range I needed. I was always having to remember to use that tank just to keep the fuel from going too bad in it.

So going to a new big tank is a great idea. The stock tank is probably very close to swiss cheese at this point. Start working on it and it will probably just leak at more and more spots.