• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

gas tank issues!!

jayvee81

Loc.
pensacola
I need some help. I am trying to get my new 69' on the road and ran into an issue with the sending unit. I was under the truck trying to locate the source of a small gas leak. I found the sending unit being held in with these screws and home made washers. This is obviously not right. My problem is I don't have any experience with this style tank. A regular lock ring doesn't work with this. I was wondering if anyone knows what type of locking mechanism holds the sending unit in with this tank or is this just a total rigged job. thanks!!

Attachments

• screws and washers.jpg
    screws and washers.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 68
  • gastanksendingunitopening.jpg
    gastanksendingunitopening.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 91

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might just need a new seal for it. Is it a aux tank or main tank? kinda hard to tell from the pic. Might be a tank someone swapped in but that is a wierd setup could be a filler inlet as was suggested might have to delete the sening unit.

OP
OP
J

jayvee81

Loc.
pensacola
It is a main tank. It has the vent outlet and the filler outlet on top, this is the front where the sending unit is housed. I need to know if there is a special fitting or adaptor to hold the sending unit in .

bronco6769

That is a plastic aftermarket tank you have. Looks identical to the one I put in my truck. Mine came from Jeff's and has that same homemade looking washer/retainer setup. I'm pretty sure it uses a factory style o-ring for the seal. Just get one of those and you should be good.

bronco6769

That is a plastic aftermarket tank you have. Looks identical to the one I put in my truck. Mine came from Jeff's and has that same homemade looking washer/retainer setup. I'm pretty sure it uses a factory style o-ring for the seal. Just get one of those and you should be good.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
I agree with you that is a piece of crap but it is factory replacement after market parts. The side tank I bought from Toms is the same as that. It had a O ring seal and a warning not to tighten screws over 20 inch lbs max. Less than 2 foot lbs. I think it said not to use any sealer as the O ring does not have a grove so it will squeeze into the center hole and leak like hell. That part I can say for sure.
I miked the thickness of the O ring and made a plastic ring on the layth to fit inside the O ring and .015 in. thinner than the O ring. The plastic ring keeps the O ring from squeezing out from under the sender and I re assembled useing the Mickey mouse parts you showed at 20 in lbs and have had no more trouble. Maybe we are the only ones that have had a problem but I think it is a real iffey deal.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I found the sending unit being held in with these screws and home made washers. This is obviously not right.

Not homemade washers. Those are what the aftermarket tanks come with for mounting the sending unit, and they leak like hell. I've not tried it myself, but I copied this from another thread a while back:

Sounds like you need to see if your local hardware store carries a product called "seal all" (look for a yellow tube with red lettering). Its been around for decades and is by far the best fuel resistant sealant I've ever found. Not available at most parts stores for some strange reason, but my local ACE carries it. It has solved every nagging fuel leak issue I've ever tried it on.

bronco6769

Wow. I'm surprised at hearing about the leaking issues you guys had. My tank has a grove in it for the seal to sit in. I just put the seal in and bolted it together. Hasn't leaked at all in 5+ years. Even survived when I rolled my Bronco end over end!

1970mule

Bronco Guru
they do tend to leak. IF you dont get the seal just right, when you tighten it down you need to make sure you get the ring in the grove just right and tighten the bolts in a cross wise circular pattern then it should seal right,

markperry

Bronco Guru
Not homemade washers. Those are what the aftermarket tanks come with for mounting the sending unit, and they leak like hell. I've not tried it myself, but I copied this from another thread a while back:

Sounds like you need to see if your local hardware store carries a product called "seal all" (look for a yellow tube with red lettering). Its been around for decades and is by far the best fuel resistant sealant I've ever found. Not available at most parts stores for some strange reason, but my local ACE carries it. It has solved every nagging fuel leak issue I've ever tried it on.

Been there and used that....The only thing that works is wetweld by JB-Weld....sealall works for about two weeks...Wetweld has worked for me for 4-months

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
they do tend to leak. IF you dont get the seal just right, when you tighten it down you need to make sure you get the ring in the grove just right and tighten the bolts in a cross wise circular pattern then it should seal right,

Mule
The tank I received from, Toms has no grove under the sending unit. Toms people put the first O ring in under a new sending unit and a new tank and I fought it there after

moebids

Loc.
Tuscaloosa
I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! The ring bends up if you tighten it too much and the sealant is just a mess. Did you ever find a solution? PS my tank and washers are exactly the same.

OP
OP
J

jayvee81

Loc.
pensacola
I first tried the sealant, and that didn't last two weeks. It took a friend and myself together under the truck making sure that everything was centered and I only tightened it enough to hold it on. So far so good, its been about three months and no leak but I still find myself looking under the truck almost every time I go outside to make sure its not leaking. I think it is just a bad design.

brambo2008

Loc.
Fresno
new tank

Well that sucks. I need a new tank and was was looking at this same one to buy. Do they still sale the org. 13 gallon tanks? The one I have is rusted to #%$#@!:-X

markperry

Bronco Guru
Been there and used that....The only thing that works is wetweld by JB-Weld....sealall works for about two weeks...Wetweld has worked for me for 4-months

Try this! I put this on on June of 09 an it's still holding strong;D ;D ;D