• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Tank question

NSG

Does a gas tank have to be replaced eventually? Or can they last forever?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Seriously, a gas tank is only as good as long as it doesn’t have fuel sit in it for an extended period of time. Also, the climate that it is in will have a huge effect on its longevity. When in doubt, change it out.

Jfryjfry

I would offer that a tank that sits for a long time with gas in it might be better off than one that sits partially-filled or empty. Cleaning out old gas isn’t fun but is easier than trying to rectify a rusty tank.

Regular use of a vehicle is the best way to make them last. Eventually everything will decay but they can last for a long long time if they don’t rust.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've got a '68 main tank that looks new inside and only has dirt on the outside. We don't allow rust in Tucson. I'm sure if it was a '66 it would be the same.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, what they said. As usual with Broncos (or most old vehicles) "your results may vary" by a lot.
In some cases both of the stock Bronco tanks can last the life of the vehicle. In some cases, not so much.

The plastic Aux tanks can last forever with no rust of course, but in the colder climes they tended to split their seams. Some hard wheeling would do it too, but we've landed pretty hard on rocks and pivoted the vehicle off many times and still no leaks.

The metal rears (pre-'77) would rust, if water was left to build up inside, or salty crust allowed to build up on the outside. But in dryer areas like was said, they can look brand new 50 years later.

Where are you NSG? And how do your tanks look and act?
The rest of the vehicle? If it's a swiss cheese rust bucket, likely the steel tank is as well.

Paul

NC_Pinz

I think if my Bronco had stayed in service and didn't sit for 12 years the fuel tank would have been fine. A new galvanized tank is going in soon.