• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Thief or Gas Hog?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I've had my 66 for a week now and decided to take it to work today. Driving home the bronco is moving along fine then sputters and dies. My gas gauge is on the to do list so I have no idea if its reading empty. I had filled it up when I bought it and have driven less than 100 miles since I got it. Well ,as you can guess it was out of gas. Added fuel and it started up again after A LOT of cranking. Now, the question becomes Am I gettig 6MPG or did some Prick steal my Gas. I'm also not sure if my fuel pump is good, It seems like it took forever to get it to pump fuel up to the carb. I was actually concerned that I was going to kill my battery. If I replace the pump, do I need the one with vacuum ports? I have electric wipers now so I don't need the vacuum for the wipers.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Just get the regular fuel pump, save the old one though as I think they are getting rarer. You might have a leak somewhere, you should get decent mileage with the 6 in there. Put some paper or whatever under the whole drivetrain at night to see if you get any residual in the morning. Check the oil too for gas if it is leaking into the engine. Also check for any serious misses.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
If you have electric wipers you don't need the fuel pump with the vacuum ports. Have you gave it a tune up 6mpg is bad but get a locking fuel cap to make sure no on is stealing your gas. It has happened to me 5 gallons at a time until I got a locking gas cap.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I only got 100 miles to my tank on the first real maiden voyage..

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
welcome to bronco ownership and small tanks. All kiddin aside, my brother gets about 100 miles on his 69 1/2 cab w/200 6cyl,np435,4.10's and 33's.Chuck

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Don't replace our fuel pump - if the engine runs good the fuel pump is OK. I recommend you put an electric fuel pump near the tank (with a dash switch). This will prime the mech pump if you run out again and give you a back up if your mech pump does ever go out. I have this set up on my trail rig (and I always carry 5 gallons of gas!) and it works great.

6 mpg is way low for an I6. As others have said you may need a tune up or you possibly have a leak? Did you actually put that much gas in after you ran out? Maybe your pick up is set too high and the usable amount in your tank is less than it should be? Also is your odometer correct? If you're running bigger tires it's probably off and you actually have driven it more than 100 miles.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
welcome to bronco ownership and small tanks. All kiddin aside, my brother gets about 100 miles on his 69 1/2 cab w/200 6cyl,np435,4.10's and 33's.Chuck

Exactly Chuck. That's why I'm thinking of going back to the 2bbl, motorcraft..if possible.

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
I'd never run out of gas in my life until I got an EB. I can't be the only redneck here that just dumps that shit right into the carb to prime it up.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd never run out of gas in my life until I got an EB. I can't be the only redneck here that just dumps that shit right into the carb to prime it up.

Casey, that's only cause you lost the whole entire gas tank.. ;D ;)

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
Hehe, well, that was a horse of a whole different color. But seriously, instead of standing there cranking and pumping it through the lines, I just dump it right into the carb. I know there are others out there too, being just as redneck and dangerous unashamedly. I've also pressurized the tank to make it faster. You can thank Brian72 for teaching me how to take something dangerous and make it MORE dangerous.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
There's got to be more to it then what your seeing! Maybe you are being hit with the Red neck credit card (siphon hose) or there's a leak. I moved from San Diego with my big block ford and it was 6mpg on a good day. I had to stop every hundred miles to fill the tank up (1100 miles) so I no what a pain it is. Don't forget to check the oil for gas, and buy a locking cap! Good luck,

Shawn

4x4babygirl
I can't be the only redneck here that just dumps that shit right into the carb to prime it up.
I too thought everyone did this also!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hehe, well, that was a horse of a whole different color. But seriously, instead of standing there cranking and pumping it through the lines, I just dump it right into the carb. I know there are others out there too, being just as redneck and dangerous unashamedly. I've also pressurized the tank to make it faster. You can thank Brian72 for teaching me how to take something dangerous and make it MORE dangerous.

LOL, I hear ya sister. Haven't had to do that yet, but I agree whatever afro-engineering it takes to get err started. ;)

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I think I've got an extra stocker carb that came with my Bronco you can have, if yer interested. Fired right up, and it seems like its in good condition. Dunno much about carbs. You may need to change the mixture, cuz my Broncos home was at 7,500 ft.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I think I've got an extra stocker carb that came with my Bronco you can have, if yer interested. Fired right up, and it seems like its in good condition. Dunno much about carbs. You may need to change the mixture, cuz my Broncos home was at 7,500 ft.

PM'D ya SIR

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've had my 66 for a week now and decided to take it to work today. Driving home the bronco is moving along fine then sputters and dies. My gas gauge is on the to do list so I have no idea if its reading empty. I had filled it up when I bought it and have driven less than 100 miles since I got it. Well ,as you can guess it was out of gas. Added fuel and it started up again after A LOT of cranking. Now, the question becomes Am I gettig 6MPG or did some Prick steal my Gas. I'm also not sure if my fuel pump is good, It seems like it took forever to get it to pump fuel up to the carb. I was actually concerned that I was going to kill my battery. If I replace the pump, do I need the one with vacuum ports? I have electric wipers now so I don't need the vacuum for the wipers.

Sorry to get off track there man. :( Maybe, tune up, air filter etc. That might help. Check all the little stuff first.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA

When you're REALLY redneck you pour the gas directly on top of the air filter cover without removing it.

"Eh, it'll drain down that little hole."

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
When you're REALLY redneck you pour the gas directly on top of the air filter cover without removing it.

"Eh, it'll drain down that little hole."

Ha ha haa!!! That's pretty good. ;D
Heck seriously though, my dad taught me how to prime by pouring gas in throught the carb. I never new any other way... Anyway, now I know I don't have to waste time removing my filter cover, lol.

Also, I have a 302, and the last time I checked I get 8 mpg with a holley four barrel. And I always thought straight 6's were suppose to get a lot better, or a least a little bit better. ?:?