• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge Cluster wiring diagram for dummies

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I had need to pull the gauge cluster from my '73 and, to help avoid any confusion, I sketched a quick wiring diagram to help me hook everything back up when I reinstall. I tried taking pics of the mess behind the dash....no luck.

I sent the cluster out to Kevin @ Classy Chassis Restoration for diagnosis & repair so, while I was waiting, I made a digital version of my sketch. I call it, as the thread title suggests: Gauge Cluster Wiring Diagram for Dummies (with the caveat that I'm referring to myself & not any of you). It's more of a roadmap of connections than a true wiring diagram; for that I apologize to the engineers & electricians.

If this helps just one other person then I've done my good deed for the month. ;D

Attachments

• '73 Guage Cluster Wiring.jpg
    '73 Guage Cluster Wiring.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 661

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Nice! I just did the same thing with my cluster. I labeled the wires, but did not ID the wire colors as you did here. This is awesome! Thanks!

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Thanks Dan. I am holding off pulling mine until I find a tiny person to crawl back there and mark the wires.

Curious... How much of a PIA will it be to put the wires in the right place without a tiny helper?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Remove the drivers seat. Remove the fresh air vent. Roll up a couple of towels and place them against the bump in front of the drivers seat and lay a piece of plywood between the bump and the slope behind the pedals so you lay on your side. Use a stool or table to hold the door open so you can rest your feet on the stool while you lay on your side and cuss. If you have a clutch pedal you might want to disconnect the linkage so you will have a little more room for your head.

Use your old bulbs where possible. The new long life bulbs means they are designed for a higher voltage and are dimmer than the original ones. I did a comparison test. I also added a couple more lights to the cluster by drilling a couple of holes on the sides of the cluster up near the top beneath the divider between the individual gauges. I went to the local yard and picked up a couple of light sockets from a pickup. Hopefully I will be able to see the gauges at night now.

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Thanks Dan. I am holding off pulling mine until I find a tiny person to crawl back there and mark the wires.

Curious... How much of a PIA will it be to put the wires in the right place without a tiny helper?

I can rent my 12 year old out. He was a big help!

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I can rent my 12 year old out. He was a big help!

Isn't there a child labor law somewhere? The question is... could I keep your 12 year old focused on the task at hand? I think I'll ask my 13 year old (going on 21) granddaughter to help. After all she wants my Bronco to be her first car... NOT!

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Not bad at all if you cut the harness & install a single connector (or 2, like I did on Frank's '75) so it's quick & foolproof. ;)

Thats a heck on an idea. I had my off road buggy professionally wired and the guy used water-proof Cannon connectors between my dash and the harness. Makes it nice to remove the dash for repairs.

What kind of connector did you use?

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
That's Great, I too did something similar... it's amazing what you can come up with.

Attachments

• Speed-O Wiring.jpg
    Speed-O Wiring.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 288
OP
OP
Dan's73

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Wish I'd seen yours before, would've freed up some time for solitaire or something! ;) Oh well, at least now I'm more familiar with the wiring back there.

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Did you click the thumbnail & browse the pics? They're common trailer connectors, but I'm sure you can find something better if you plan. I was sort of in a rush, but they've worked so well that I haven't bothered changing them.

I clicked, but didn't browse until today. I like the concept and think that those plugs were a solid idea. The next best thing would be the weather pack / weather tite plugs like GM uses.

The beauty of these is that butt connectors and splices would all but be eliminated.

:D