• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge Question

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
I have autometer gauges for my Bronco, but am not sure whether they are reading right or not. Everytime I start it, the water temp goes to 210 automatically. It doesn't slowly work it's way up or anything, it just goes up there. I bought the sender that they told me to buy, and have double and triple checked my wiring. It's only three wires after all. Then today when I started it, the temp started at 210 and after a while made it's way up to and then past 250. It is warm outside (102), but I wasn't driving it, it was just idling. Is all of this normal?

Thank you for your help.

Oh, and it's a '74 with a 302.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
That doesn't sound right. It sounds like the wrong sending unit. Once power is applied it should read the current temp. which would be well below 210. Have you considered a mechanical guage instead of the electrical one? I put a lot more faith in them reading correctly.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
That doesn't sound right. It sounds like the wrong sending unit. Once power is applied it should read the current temp. which would be well below 210. Have you considered a mechanical guage instead of the electrical one? I put a lot more faith in them reading correctly.

I agree something sounds wrong. I also like mechanical guages, especially for coolant temp.

Which autometer guages do you have??
I am sure they make a mechanical water temp guage in the same series

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
If at all possible, I'd like to stay with these gauges and save money. If I had to redo eveything, I rather go with the stock Bronco gauges with the white face. I'll keep the mechanical option in the back of my mind though.

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
I actually don't know which ones they are, they look like the Street Rod Old Tyme White II. But they have a chrome ring with a Ford emblem on the front. They don't make these any more unfortunately.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
What I was thinking was to return that one autometer guage, and exchange it for a mechanical guage in the same series. That way you wouldn;t spend any more money

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
It's pretty old, it came with the truck when I bought it 4 years ago (slow project) and they were kind of old then. Do they have a lifetime warranty or something?

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
thats funny, my stock guage does teh same exact thing. as soon as i start it, the temps shoots all the way up ans stays there. I'm assumming its the sending unit. at least thats where i will start on mine

OP
OP
Project_bronco

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
If it's the sending unit on mine then Autometer told me to get the wrong one...it's just something they would do. lol j/k

I'm just plain stumped.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
I have autometer mechanical on mine, I would call autometer and ask them how to test the gauge and sender ( ohms resistance or ? ) Joe.:(