• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge questions again!

mini73

Been driving the bronco to and from work sometimes since getting the bronco running after buying. I had gauge issues at the beginning when trying to get it running and everything working. My gauges did not work and I did the troubleshooting to get them all working again. I changed the oil pressure switch to get it reading. Changed the main tank sending unit so I can know how much gas I have. (Still having problems with this as the gauge goes up and down while driving and I know I have gas in the tank) While driving, the alt gauge jumps around fast and not staying still. I did upgrade the alternator to a new one last week and I believe it is a little higher amperage than the stock one. Its just a 3 wire and have not upgraded to a 3g one wire yet but I'm thinking maybe I should in the future. I also did replace my voltage regulator in the beginning. Recently I was letting it idle in the driveway while I was messing around with the carb settings and notice there was a ground wire attached to the bolt that holds the voltage regulator to the firewall and it looked like it was smoking the insulation off so I disconnected it till I figure out where it goes. Any idea where it goes and what is for? My oil pressure gauge is not that high I as I think it should be while driving either. At the beginning I just put regular 10w30 oil in it to start it up and running but now that I have been driving it every now and then I want to do a oil change today. What oil should I be running on an old stock 302 v8? Will a thicker oil help with the oil pressure? I know my questions are kind of simple but these little things are bothering me while driving it and would like to resolve them soon. Thanks for all the help and I'll be working on the bronco this weekend like always.

Dad's74

This happens on my '74 every now and again. I did all of the same repairs, etc. Turns out the ignition switch was loose. I wiggled the key a bit and "poof" .....all the gauges started working again. (Still haven't fixed it, as it hasn't happened in a while, but its on my list.)

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Messing around with this again today. While driving the Bronco the alternator gauge would just bounce up and down while it was idling or while driving. While in the garage I put the wire that I took off back on and cranked it up and let it idle. The alternator gauge stayed still and went up like it was suspposed to while revving it up but the insulation on that wire was smoking again and it was hot so I took it off again. When I bought the bronco it was connected to the bolt that holds the voltage regulator and goes into the wiring loom that goes to the front towards the starter solenoid. Im not sure what color it is yet as I need to try and chase it to see where it goes. I know it has something to do with the gauge but I do not want to burn it up while having a functioning alternator gauge. Any help or ideas? I also corrected the oil pressure gauge and its better now.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Ok, i just started the bronco and was letting it idle. That wire has power to it when I dont have it connected but the alternator gauge is still bouncing up and down. It kind of looks like it goes to the alternator now but I hooked up the new alternator just like the old one. at least I thought I did.

moses_m

Ground

There should be a ground wire from alt to voltage regulator.
If you have an amp gauge make sure the wire that is looping through your amp gauge is not touching anything or is coming apart.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

There should be a ground wire from alt to voltage regulator.

If you have an amp gauge make sure the wire that is looping through your amp gauge is not touching anything or is coming apart.

Ok thanks. I have the stock alternator gauge. I'll try to look at again in the morning. Need to find out why the wire has power. Looks like a ground wire to me