• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear drive to timing chain help

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
I am in the process of swapping out an edelbrock gear drive from my 76 with 302. I have the timing chain i pulled out 20 years ago that virtually had no miles on it. Its cast iron melling 3-358sa. The cam gear from the gear drive set had a brass thrust washer behind it. Does the cast iron cam gear require a brass washer as well? Also the timing cover has been modified and the angled casting on the inside had been ground off to accommodate the idler gears. Does this casting serve a purpose? Or can i install the timing chain without it or do i need to purchase a new timing cover?

Thanks

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, Ford did not use any washers or spacer between the thrust plate and the cam sprocket. After the cam is installed and the thrust plate is installed, the timing chain set goes on ( probably dot to dot) and then the fuel pump eccentric ( some are 2 piece), and last the bolt and washer. I wouldn't worry about the cover. Good luck

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, find out if you are still using the stock Ford cam thrust plate. If the gear drive required a spacer, maybe it uses a different thrust plate. Check it out. Good luck

OP
OP
blainebrazil

blainebrazil

Loc.
Santa Rosa
Well the gear noise from the “quiet” edelbrock gear drive was fun/cool when i put it in high school now it’s totally annoying