• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear experts - pattern opinion.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Well, I am closing in on getting my 9" build done. I am pretty happy with this pattern, but am going to try one more adjustment to see if I can get it centered a bit better. Plus, the coast side looks a bit strange - maybe I didn't load it up enough while I was generating the pattern in that direction.

But, I am done for the day, so I figured that I would submit some pics and see if everybody else thinks that this pattern is looking ok. B/L is ~.008.

Thanks for the opinions.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 45

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
pattern

Thats what I do all day,pretty good ,To move drive side in towards center and coast "out",take another .003 out of shim and you should be "dead nuts" right on,you need a job?

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
im no expert but ive set up a few also. that looks plenty good. ive seen the coast do funny stuff several times. i was told if your drive looks good not to sweat the coast too hard.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
whats the thickness of the shims under the pinion support?

In that picture, it was .025".

I sold my original axle and started with all brand new parts, so I didn't have a good "starting point". So, I started with .035", and the pattern indicated that the pinion was too far out. I next tried .028", and it looked a lot better. Then I went to .025" (shown). With each iteration, I kept the B/L hovering around the .008 - .009 mark.

Once I get another chance to hit the garage, I am going to try .022" to see what it does. I'm in no hurry and it is kind of fun seeing what messing with the shims does to the pattern. ;D

Thanks for the replies, it is appreciated.

rednck21

just what i thought;D ive built a few with no starting point and from what ive found about .018-.020" is a good starting point. so yes i would take about .003-.005" out and see how it looks;)

also, another thing to look at is the contact(paint) on the pinion. you can tell alot by those marks, too.