• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear ratio calculator question

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Hey guys I've been trying to figure out my ratio if I drop down in tire size a little bit. My problem is I've checked a number of calculators online but the numbers just don't add up. I have 44 inch tires and 5.13 gears. At 65 I'm running about 3300 rpms. Every calculTor I've looked at says I should be running around 2500.

Am I missing something? I'm wanting to drop to 40s or 42s but I can't stand any more rpms. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is the speedometer accurate?
Is the tach accurate? (If it were set to 6-cylinder it would read 50% faster, that about matches your numbers.)
Is the transmission shifting through all the gears?

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Is the speedometer accurate?
Is the tach accurate? (If it were set to 6-cylinder it would read 50% faster, that about matches your numbers.)
Is the transmission shifting through all the gears?

I'm not sure if the speedo is dead on but it's not too far off. I was on the interstate with a lot of other traffic. I tried to take that into account with the calculators , but by them I would have to been running 80 mph or better and I'm sure I wasn't going that fast

I'll have to check the tach but I'm pretty sure it's right, although it is idling at about 600 and it does sound like more but that would put it at reading low.

And yes it is shifting through all the gears , it does have a stall converter in it but I think it would be locked up at those speeds and rpms.

I considered ( it's been at the paint shop for 4 years and they did screw a lot of things up) that maybe it might have gotten put in 4 low but it's been like this for 20 years and I'm thinking 4 low would be obvious.

Thanks

JSmall

Bronco Guru
TH400, 5.13 and 43" tires. Most tires aren't true to size so you might want to check that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
TH400, 5.13 and 43" tires. Most tires aren't true to size so you might want to check that.

That's true, I did think about that. These are super swampers and they are practically new so I figured them to be close.

That calculator is about like the rest I have seen, I don't know where the discrepancy is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most modern cell phones have a GPS in them. An app will turn it into a speedometer. Or there are the stand alone GPS recievers that will give speed. That will take out that variable.

Next is the tach. Has this been left out in the rain? 4 years at a body shop I doubt it was kept indoors and dry all that time. Is there another one that you can borrow and see how it reads?

That would take out a couple of the big variables really easy.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Using your mph and rpm and gear ratio my cAlculator says you have 35" tires.
So --

Quick & Dirty

The discrepancy would be about right if the speedometer is uncorrected from stock 4.11 gears with 28" tires, and allowing a few hundred rpm for converter slippage.

This would mean an indicated 65 mph is actually 80 mph. Are you keeping up with highway traffic or is everyone passing you at 65 indicated?

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Most modern cell phones have a GPS in them. An app will turn it into a speedometer. Or there are the stand alone GPS recievers that will give speed. That will take out that variable.

Next is the tach. Has this been left out in the rain? 4 years at a body shop I doubt it was kept indoors and dry all that time. Is there another one that you can borrow and see how it reads?

That would take out a couple of the big variables really easy.

I'll have to try the gps and see. I was pacing with traffic so I still think I was fairly close on the speed. And yes the truck was in the rain but the tach was inside of it, I don't think that was a factor. But maybe you're right about the tach being off. I'll have to check it out , it did sound like a lot of rpms though.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
The discrepancy would be about right if the speedometer is uncorrected from stock 4.11 gears with 28" tires, and allowing a few hundred rpm for converter slippage.

This would mean an indicated 65 mph is actually 80 mph. Are you keeping up with highway traffic or is everyone passing you at 65 indicated?

I'm pacing with them pretty good. About the same really, 80 mph with flat spotted 44s is a heck of a ride! Lol.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thanks for all the help guys, it sounds like I'm not missing anything, I'm either just getting a bad tach reading or my transmission does have alot of slippage , it does have a pretty big stall in it.surely 4 low would be obvious right, no way I could get to 65 in 4 low?

Quick & Dirty

I'm pacing with them pretty good. About the same really, 80 mph with flat spotted 44s is a heck of a ride! Lol.

It may be different in Georgia, but around here typical traffic is 75-85 mph on 65 or 70 mph speed limit highways. GPS on a straight section of road is a good way to check it.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your 44's aren't really 44's. The tires aren't "round" when they're on a vehicle. If they were, you'd get a straight line of rubber touching the ground across the surface of the tire. You don't. You get a patch. So while the distance from the TOP of the tire to the center of the axle will be 22 inches, the distance from the center of the axle to the street will be less as the tire is "flattened". A lot of it depends on your air pressure, weight, tire sidewall stiffness, but you're probably closer to 42 and maybe even 40 inches for your calculation. Use a similar percentage decrease for smaller tires. My calculation shows a REAL 44 inch tire (that's a true 22 inch radius) would show 2547 rpm assuming 1:1 drive through your trans (no slip) and transfer case. A REAL 42 would show 2669, and a 40 would show 2802. In theory a drop to a 42 at the same MPH shown would increase your RPMS by 4.76% (3457 rpm). A drop to 40's would increase you RPM by 10% (3630 rpm). Your speedo is most likely way off as it thinks you're running 15's through 3.50 or 4.11 gears. It assumes 15 inch tires are spinning and the revolutions = 65 MPH, but a 44 inch tire goes a LOT further on each revolution, offset by your higher gear ration. A 44 inch tire goes 138.23 inches per revolution. A 15 inch tire goes 47 inches per revolution. Your original differential could have been a 3.50 or 4.11. Assuming it was a 4.11 and you moved to a 5.13 your motor is spinning 25% faster than it was but you're going 2.94 times further. You're going a LOT faster than 65, closer to 78. Not bad for 44's, Regardless, assume the drop in tire size will raise your REAL rpm by 5% for 42's and 10% for 40's.

Last edited: