• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gearing up for a 5 hour trek!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
All,

The Monkey Mobile is on the road. Saturday I will have my VA inspection sticker & be official!!!!

I have begun collecting the items that I "need" for a longer road trip (and piece of mind).

I have completely rewired the rig, and have a hand full of spares. I also have a few extra switches here & there as just in case. The engine runs like a champ & was totally rebuilt 1000 miles ago. She starts on the first crank, idles rough for the first little bit, but then is a champ. When I get her inspected, I am paying the garage to tune her smooth & possibly replace the "anti-dieseling" solenoid.

I have a full set of SAE & Metric sockets, pliers galore, oil filter wrench, screwdrivers, and combo wrenches in my tool box.

Should I pick up a spare PS pump & carry it? If I do, can anyone recommend a pully remover that wont kill the bank? I think this one would fit the bill, and is cheap enough to add to the list.

The brakes are all fresh disc & I am running the hydro unit from HydroTech (also sold at JBG & WH).

I am not offroading this, just making an inaugural run to the beach. I am trying to think of items that if it fails on the road, I can quickly fix.

Thanks!

MnkyBiz

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
on my trip to paragon for the roundup I plan on carrying all extra fluids, u-joints, maybe a rear drive shaft, all replacement belts, maybe some hoses, splicebutt connectors for wiring issues, another thermostat, maybe another radiator cap, a can of "fix-a-flat" works good for slow leaks, gear oils...

that pulley puller looks like a good one. I may get one as well..

71 BRNCO

Bill-
Wow. Great news here. I think that your truck will be fine overall. I would suggest carrying some rubber hose/extra clamps for sure. Carry some fuses as well. Before you leave please double check and tighten everything especially steering rod ends and lug nuts. Also be sure to grease all joints and driveshafts before you head out. Make sure you carry some spare fluids-steering and brake fluid. I don 't think you need to take an extra power steering pump unless you think something is wrong with yours.

Most of all have fun Bill. You worked very hard building that truck now its time to enjoy it!!!

kyle

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Don't forget the camera, take plenty of pics and have fun :cool:

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
GO MONKEY GO!!!
sounds like fun.....I agree with Kyle.....go enjoy it (and the family of course!!)

I only have several must haves........tie wraps.......duct tape.......elctrical connector kit and crimpers ........and money! works everytime. I hate carrying a bunch of tools (even though I do) because they take up room and then become a worry wherever its parked.

have fun and good luck

J. R.

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
Mr. Monkey,

In Jan. I drove a 74 eb from south carolina back to houston (1400 miles). I flew out and couldn't bring tools on the plane so I had to wing it. On the first day of the drive back in the pouring rain tranny cooler hose came loose. Needed new clamp and I had to buy a screw driver. On day two I pull into a gas station to feed the beast jump back in turn the key and starter just spun. Look at the starter and find one of the two bolts gone to the gods on I-10. The other was just about to fall out. So in the pouring rain I spot a wal-mart a 1/4 of a mile down the road and go down a but a cheap socket set and some assorted zip ties. Tightened up the remaining bolt and used the zip ties to secure the bottom bolt hole. Got it started and headed on down the road. So from my experience I would suggest the following

1. Cell phone with good battery
2. basic set of tools
3. A credit card with plenty of room on it
4. zip ties
5. A good attitude and a big smile

Have fun at the beach! :cool: ;D

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Let's not forget the cooler...........with plenty of monkey juice for the little one......and of course an assortment of fine Monkey tunes for your listening pleasure....
;D
Sure wish we were headed down there with ya.
Where ya headed, Corolla??????
Have a great time and take plenty of pics for us.
This trip may be the most memorable of all those trips you have taken. ( and I know that has been quite a few.)
Way to go Bill!
Chris in WV

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
beach gear

Bill, when I go to Asseteague I always have these:
1. hi-lift jack
2. plywood base for jack
3. folding shovel/ e-tool
4. tire preasure gauge that reads down to at least 10 lbs.
5. tow strap
6. portable shade
7. beer/wine coolers/ gatorade
And watch your water temp- deep sand will heat things up quick!
Have fun! Larry

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
first real trip i would just bring spare belts and hoses. You dont need the power steering pully puller if the pump fails all systems still work manually and if it fails then the auto parts can set you up. I would bring your hub socket and a tub of grease just in case and check your hub temperture about an hour after you start driving. I would also check your lug nuts at the same time. 2 gallons of drinkable water. if you have never driven a Bronco long distance after driving a long distance about an hour or so your transfer case will burp, you will smell a gear oil smell in the truck and you will get worried. Dont! as the transfer case warms up the moisture in the gear oil will vent and you will smell gear oil. It wont leak just smell and go away it will come back like clock work for a little while and then just stop. One thing to look for is tranny oil on the tail gate. C-4 doesnt like to be over filled. the first time you get it hot and it expands it will foam the oil and spew it out the vent. Its not the tranny failing its just over filled. The c-4 doesnt run hot so you may not see it unless you climb a decent grade and your slightly over filled.
Carrying spares and tools will drive you nuts you will only need what you dont have with you so where do you draw the line? Carry your tow strap and a word on fuel filters carry at least 2 of every fuel filter on your truck. You should never need them but in most cases of fuel filter issues it was eithor lack of maintainance or you have a crap load of stuff and one filter wont save the day. carry a tube of silicone gasket sealer. Tighten your hose clamps after your first days run and probably your belts too. You should be good to go for a very long time.