• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gen Tex 261 mirror

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I was able to pick up a gen tex 261 mirror today. Going thru the archives I was able to find Steve83 dirrections for calibrating and wiring for a 177 which has 7 wires. The 261 has 9 wires. Is the calibration the same? Not sure where the access hole is. It came out of an 06 Chevy PU.

The colors are below with my thioughts on where it goes
Pink Power
Black Ground
gray
dark green
Blue
Light green
Yellow

Black w/tracer To temp sensor black w/tracer
Green w/tracer to temp sensor green w/tracer

Can anyone help me out with this
Thanks

Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
261's sometimes just had compass, temp & autodim. Later year mirrors had some of the other things Steve mentioned, like OnStar. Does yours have the Onstar buttons?

Usually no need to calibrate the compass....normal driving will usually calibrate it within 10 miles. If it does not Gentex recommends going to a large open parking lot and driving in circles for a short period of time. As far as wiring it, what plug does this mirror have? How many pins and in what arrangement? Typical for that mirror would be a 7 pin flat connector....7 pins flat in a row. It could also have a 16 pin(2 stacked rows of 8)

OP
OP
gnpenning

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
It only has the Comp and Temp buttons. No Onstar.

It is the double row of 8 for 16 total pins. 3 wires going on the top side and 6 going on the tab side.

I will take pics and email if still needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnpenning

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
Tried setting up an account there. It never sent me a link to finialize. when I tried it again later the user name is used.

Do I need more than the power and grd to unit plus temp sensor wires?

Are the pink and black wires the power and grd?

mattt

Bronco Guru
Typically the pink is power, and black is ground. There are 2 power wires....one switched, and one constant so the compass/settings memory is retained when the key is off. One of the other wires is probably for autodim cutout when in reverse. I'm not sure about the other 3 without researching it. What buttons are on the lower part of the mirror?

To answer your question...yes, power(both), ground and the temp sender wires are bare minimum to get it working. If you search Gentex 261 wiring, you should be able to find what each pin is. With those additional wires, there must be other buttons on the mirror.

2 power wires
1 ground wire
2 temp probe wires
1 reverse cut out
3 additional?

OP
OP
gnpenning

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
There are just the 2 buttons on the front. Comp and temp nothing else.

Thanks Matt.

It does have Passenger air bag section that lights up and down when the air bags is off or on. That would account for 2 more wires. Leaving one unaccounted for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnpenning

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
IF anyone ever needs to find the wiring for a Gentex mirror, call Gentex at 616-772-1800. I talked to Joel (great guy) , Gave him the 905 number off the back. In less than a minute he gave me the needed wiring for mine.

Pin number
6 temp probe
7 temp probe
8 Grd
9 Dim cutout hooked to backup lights
13 Ignition power source

Thats all that is needed. The rest are optional and not needed for my application.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Often the power in will be split. One for the mirror (switched) and the other (unswitched) for the homelink so it can work with the key off. Personally I don't like it that way, open access to the garage door if they press the button. I tie it into the keyed power so it isn't an open invite to the garage.

One of the outputs is for the optional dimmed side view mirrors.

mattt

Bronco Guru
gnpenning, thanks for posting that info and contact #. I've never thought to contact Gentex before, but it's nice to hear they were helpful.

Regarding the other post about there being two 12v+ wires(switched and constant) in.......is there an echo in here? Actually, the 261 does not have Homelink and I would suggest hooking up the unswitched to constant power. The reason is that the constant power is not primarily for using Homelink when the key is off, but instead to maintain the mirror settings and compass memory. Since your 261 is compass, temp, & autodim only, there is no harm in supplying constant power. Since the compass has to calibrate when first powered up for the first time, if you make both power leads switched, the compass will have to re-calibrate with every key on, every time you start the car. Very few Gentex mirrors actually have Homelink, that is an uncommon option. One very easy way to deal with the Homelink access issue.....just don't program it and then it won't do anything, like open your garage to anyone reaching in. And even if you did program Homelink, it would probably lose the programming with every key off since you do not have constant power going to the mirror.