• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Georgia Members YOM license plates now legal up to 1989

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
That’s good to know. I always wanted to put a ‘77 plate on my ‘77 but they had switched to the “7 year” plates by then and all I can get is a ‘76 embossed plate with a ‘77 decal.

Getting off topic a little, but Arizona, where I bought my EB, had some really nice solid copper historic plates that were embossed with “77”. Some were copper plated steel so you have to check them with a magnet...

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The plates for 18 wheeler tractors were still embossed year by year I’m not sure when that stopped and they went to stickers , they may still use embossed plates for heavy trucks

You can find those if you look for a while online

I may try to find a 74 embossed heavy truck plate

Not sure those are acceptable , only one way to find out is buy one and take it to the tag office

It says you can’t use the old dealer plates and other oddball plates but one person said he registerd a 1972 dealer plate

Since mines a 74 , I can use the 70 plate or the 71 -75 plates or the 76-83 plates

I’m in Cobb so I was looking for a Cobb county plate just to be authentic but it’s not a requirement

And the plates up to 1971 , the first group of numbers represented the county by population Fulton was 1, dekalb was 2 etc , and Cobb was 7

I grew up in Union County , haven’t seen a union county tag online but I could probably call some of my friends that still live there and find one

The heavy truck tags are at the bottom “HK”

510db779449b3a098d428079190de62f.jpg
dec37dff4084fd0014869224ae4ee250.jpg
f6f4a83b95194c7c227dafb80b79eff7.jpg
c5bab82ad236c7579b3503c9bf0cd6e5.jpg
e5b41d571fd03bf1ff27ba1bc24e3b7b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
7b4f53a3f0f39e60f5999d0f09645f7b.jpg
got a 65 plate on the falcon and a 76 plate on the K10

Still searching for the one I want to run on the EB

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
OK has a similar rule but it has a major issue. The plate either has to have been originally registered to you or never been registered. Learn that after buying the correct year and county for my 67 GMC..... good luck finding an authentic unregistered plate.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
OK has a similar rule but it has a major issue. The plate either has to have been originally registered to you or never been registered. Learn that after buying the correct year and county for my 67 GMC..... good luck finding an authentic unregistered plate.

How far back do their computerized records go ?
How do they know it’s never been registered ?

You could have one of the companies that reproduce the vintage plates to make one and you could give it a little patina ,

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
How far back do their computerized records go ?
How do they know it’s never been registered ?

You could have one of the companies that reproduce the vintage plates to make one and you could give it a little patina ,

Evidently a long ways, my 67 plate came back as registered and unusable. If OK’s new plates weren’t ridiculously ugly it wouldn’t bother me so much. I’m not the only one that feels that way, it’s bad enough I find it an embarrassment and wouldn’t have it on anything if I could get away with it short of selling out and moving

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Evidently a long ways, my 67 plate came back as registered and unusable. If OK’s new plates weren’t ridiculously ugly it wouldn’t bother me so much. I’m not the only one that feels that way, it’s bad enough I find it an embarrassment and wouldn’t have it on anything if I could get away with it short of selling out and moving

Find a helpful clerk , take a box of doughnuts ,
Get all the Oklahoma plate numbers from all the sites that have em for sale and have the clerk run them and see if any are acceptable .
Then buy that plate .

Have to make at least two trips to the dmv ,
Unless you can find that out over the phone