• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

getting a Bronco into Canada

mark becker

Loc.
MI
I have heard of some hurdles selling to people who live and want to take a US Bronco to Canada, and advice?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
There shouldn't be anything different about a Bronco than any other vehicle. I sold a 73 Karmann Ghia to a man in Canada and had no problems. The title has to be clear as proof of ownership, with the vehicle, and bill of sale. Make sure the vin#'s match as they will check them at the border. Make sure they are in place and whoever takes it across border know's exactly where the Vin plate and numbers are. No "dicey" sales here. Other than that, should have no problems.

broncoP

Contributor
I'm a Canadian now living in Wa. State. When I lived in B.C, I imported a few broncos, it was pretty easy, although the buyer eventually has to get it inspected. My friend just imported a newer Dodge Ram Power Wagon that was lifted and found out you can't import a lifted truck now. He had to pull the lift out of the truck, this never used to be an issue.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
My friend just imported a newer Dodge Ram Power Wagon that was lifted and found out you can't import a lifted truck now. He had to pull the lift out of the truck, this never used to be an issue.
Wow! :eek: That's a pretty big issue since most early Broncos for sale are lifted, at least a little.

Is it illegal to add the lift back in once a Canadian owns the truck? Or just illegal to buy an import already done that way?

broncoP

Contributor
Once you pass the inspection, you can do whatever you want with it. My friend had to go through the inspection without the lift, once it passed, he put it back in. It's not illegal to drive a lifted truck in Canada, there are tons. This a newer rule at the border, I"m not sure why they introduced it, I'll ask them today when I go through and see what they say

relm4x4

Loc.
Terrace, B.C, Canada
Any vehicle bought in the U.S and then brought into Canada will need to have a federal inspection and then a provincial inspection. They are both quite similar but this way are government gets more money. Candian tire has the contract with the Canadian government to do the federal inspection but the provincial inspection can be done by any provincial inspection station.

If you are selling to someone in Canada you would benefit them greatly to drive the vehicle across the border and then sell it to them otherwise the paperwork has to be at the border crossing a full 24hours before you get there and attempt to cross. If you try and buy something and claim you paid way less for it then you actually did ( and it is quite odvious to them) they can seize the vehicle untill they do their investigation and check bank acounts of the seller and any other transactions. It is best to deal with cash. The Cdn government really doesn't like anyone to pay less tax then they should saving yourself any money. They are greedy and prefer to tax the shit out of us and then stick it to us any other way they can. Opps starting to sound like a rant and that I'm bitter. Yes, I am bitter everytime I get parts shipped across the border they end up costing me double by the time they get to my door. I'm getting a little off topic.
I haven't heard of anyone having to remove a lift kit before inspection, although some inspection stations do have their own interpretation of the regulations. Just last year the DOT deceided that all vehicles with more then 4" of lift would need to be inspected regardless of age of vehicle. I haven't seen any actual paperwork saying this is true. The Police and DOT in our area were really enforcing this but I think in bigger areas they won't bother because they are way to busy with the larger commercial vehicles. I had been doing provincial MVI's for about 12 years untill I left the automotive trade last fall. Any other questions just fire away and if I don't know the answer I can find out for you. My step father still does inspection and last year he and his buddy brought a 56 t-bird back from Oregon.

hammer

Bronco Guru
This is a new rule. No lifted trucks can be imported. Just sold some parts to a guy who tried to bring across a '96 full size with a 4" lift. Had to put it back to stock to get it across. Then had to pass the federal inspection, then the provincial, then put the lift back in. What a PITA.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
All the guys are right dog simple and easy IF you drive it across
some tips
when you go down talk to the border crossing guys, if they know its coming things go a lot smoother. Key here talk to them!!! let them know whats up.
Get their fax number or email address, conversing is a lot easier over the wire and you can send them copies of the paper before you get there. Be surprised how much this one helps
You have to pay the GST!! (Government Sanctioned Theft) so bring cash, money talks in this arena
usually they will let you in but insist on a inspection certificate within a certain amount of time, be prepared to follow the directions to the letter.

OP
OP
mark becker

mark becker

Loc.
MI
well, its now in Canada, I did not hear from the buyer so I guess things went fine.

rae61

I brought my 71 into Alberta in 2007 and it is a very easy process just follow their guidelines and you will have no problem. Almost all vehicles older than 15 years are exempt from the RIV program which means no federal inspection needed, you will only need a provincial inspection which can be used for your insurance as they will require and inspection also.

Check out the link for more info.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s3

jcard

Hello the stroppe bronco in toronto is a family members works downtown, was an ordeal to get into the country but only beacuse importing can sometimes be tricky due to the taxes, it had nothing to do with the type of truck.

Nat

Loc.
Alberta, Canada
Gal's Bronco Dream

Hi guys
I’m new to this Forum and to Bronco’s and to make things worse I’m a girl ......... and in the world of shopping for a BIG A** 4x4 it’s a bit of a problem (for me anyways). I have started saving some $$$$ hoping to buy myself a Pretty Bronco ....I know, I know.... LOL
Anyways I’m really glad I joined your chat room because I live in Alberta and so far in my search for a Bronco anything I seem to like is located in the US and your information has been very helpful and appreciated. It’s not likely that I will be able to purchase anything in 2010 cause unlike some of you experienced dudes..... I need one already done or at least as done as possible. Although I seem to have a knack for finding nice trucks then sellers tend to want to be compensated for their hard work :cry:
If any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it ....
So far someone recommended a 1972 Sport, and that’s about it so far
Thanks again for all the info, looking forward to chatting with you all

69 Fl. Bronc

Welcome, Nat. Save your pennys( do you have pennys in Canada?) and I'm sure you can come up with what you want. Lots of good people and info here. Good luck in your hunt and stick around.

Nat

Loc.
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Guys...... Yeah we still have pennies for how long... is any bodies guess, why are you guy in the US of A considering taking them.... :eek: lol
I just had a look at the 62Grand Yellow Bronco... Good Gawd it’s a nice machine, perhaps I'll save enough for a deposit and borrow the rest!
As for posting a pic of myself.... didn’t want to scare you guys off ;) ... lol
NAT

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
There probably aren't a lot of Broncos in Alberta but there are a lot in B.C. Not sure how far you are from there but it might be worth checking out. There are a bunch of B.C. folks on the Northwest Classic Broncos forum as well.
And keep an eye out on craigslist, never know when you might find a hidden gem.