• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting Ready for the Lonestar Bronco Mountain Ride! PICS ADDED!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
As the title says, getting ready for next week's Mountain Ride in Fairplay Colorado.

This will be the first trip with the rebuilt steering box. Checked all fluids - had to top off the brake fluid, put it on the lift and checked bolts, hoses, belts, u-joints, etc. Everything looks good. The last couple of trips have been in the Gen6 so I'm looking forward to some "real" wheeling and some new to me trails.

IMG_4294.JPG

I think I'm ready to go!!

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m sorry, but I’d NOT take a paint job that pretty and go ‘into the rocks’!!! Wouldn’t enjoy the day at well.

Randy

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m sorry, but I’d NOT take a paint job that pretty and go ‘into the rocks’!!! Wouldn’t enjoy the day at well.

Randy
I get it, for the most part it is the possibility of rock chips, not rock dents. Scoop and I could take you a lot of places that is the deal. Most of the old mining roads in CO are that way, there are exceptions, but those typically are optional, much of the west is the same way. I've said it before, much of the off highway driving in the west is hard between your ears not under your tires.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO

Randy
Thanks for the compliment!

The paint is about 8 years old and this fender is probably the best condition of all the body panels. In fact it's probably due for a repair and re-paint. As Yeller said, mostly rock chips from the Colorado trails but there are a few rock gouges in the fiberglass from wheeling in the rocks in Texas!

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
It's based out of Fairplay so we'll be doing Red Cone, Wheeler Lake, Radical Hill, etc. Basically parts of Areas 5 and 6 of the Funtreks book.
Up or down Radical Hill? Going down in a short wheel base might be interesting. When I did it maybe 20 years ago, it was not driving an EB. Make sure you have your brakes balanced well!

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Up or down Radical Hill? Going down in a short wheel base might be interesting. When I did it maybe 20 years ago, it was not driving an EB. Make sure you have your brakes balanced well!
Four drum brakes is where it's at!!!! :) :) :)
Good question! I'm not sure of the route planned. Luckily (?) my rig has an extended wheelbase (~104 inches) and 4-wheel disks with hydroboost. But that means I'll need to be easy on the brakes if we go down! Maybe a good spot for descending in front wheel drive?

I've been to the top of Radical Hill trail on Deer Creek and Swan River trails, but I've never done Radical Hill.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Watched a bit of a YouTube on that hill. Heck of a view! Don’t think I’d want to get caught in rain on that incline though. That would be something beyond white knuckle. 😵‍💫 I didn’t see much in the way of wide spots. Almost seems like it would be one way?

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Well, we ended up not doing Radical Hill. Mainly due to to time. A group of jeeps were ahead of us so we decided to pass - it was already looking like a long day!

First day was Wheeler Lake. Awesome trail and the first time I've done it. There are 3 fun obstacles near the start and then incredible views as you make your way to the lake at the top. A very fun day!

IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Second day was Red Cone. What an awesome ride right over the peak of Red Cone! Better have good brakes!

As mentioned above, we decided not to go on Radical Hill due to traffic and time. We exited on Handcart Gulch - another very nice trail. Nothing hard except for the extremely narrow shelf road portion. I don't have an issue with shelf roads but a few in the group expressed some serious pucker factor!

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

eb-nutt1

Lordy I got to get out there one day soon! Hopefully with one of my broncos.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Third day was Mosquito Pass to Leadville and return to Fairplay over Weston Pass. I've done both several times before but always great views on both passes. I say always, but I have been on Mosquito Pass when it was covered in clouds and drizzle! This time it was perfectly clear.

But first we got a tour of the NoLo Mining operation that is being restored. Very interesting tour. It's on the Alma side of Mosquito Pass.

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

This is not part of the NoLo Project. It's another mining structure further up the Pass.

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

Lunch at the top!

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

PDQ

Contributor
Scoop, great pics and good looking ride. Where did you find, or did you make, the air vent covers on the hood. Really slick.

Thank you