• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting rid of my vapor separator

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
I read the post by MarsChariot explaining the purpose and need of the vapor separator, but I would rather have a nice 6x9 speaker in that spot! So what do I do with the vent lines coming out of the tank? What have you guys done? Can I bypass the separator, hook the lines together and send it to the charcoal canister? I only have one tank, no auxiliary.

Thanks,
Stu

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
truth be told your charcoal canisiter is probably saturated anyway as old as it is.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think you can but you run the risk of pushing raw gas to the canister. The tank is there to catch the gas and let the vapors turn back to gas so it can go back to the tanks

My 74 don't have the vapor separator and I'm putting it back on. For 16 plus years I've lived with it pushing gas out the spout on hot days.

I have to park on a samll incline with a lean to the drivers side. This puts the air bubble/air pocket in the aux tank and main tank at the oposite ends from the filler neck. The air expands and pressure builds and gas is slowly forced up the the neck and out the cap vent.

I know I can run less fuel in the tanks and such but (what I try to do now) but I hate always having 1/2 tank or less. Seems I'm always filling up.

With the half cab, I don't have to worry about fumes or speakers in that spot.....

Tim

frankentruck70

Loc.
Cheyenne, wy.
Without the seperator you will push gas out of your tankson hot days. T speak from experience when I say, forget the speaker and keep the seperator, the hassle is unbelievable!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I haven't used my vapor canister for many years. I have only the main tank and have vented the tank using the line that used to go to the charcoal canister. I chucked the charcoal canister and extended that vent line up into the engine compartment and put a little K & N filter on it. Absolutely no gas smell and my eb is kept in the garage.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could dulicate the '77 setup. No separater tank and charcoal canister mounted high in the engine bay. They did have a small valve to cut off the flow through the vent line when upside down though.

walker_creek

I ditched everything. I'm running 1 24gal aftermarket tank. Fuel line goes directly to the fuel pump. I'm using a vented filler cap and have had no problems. It was consistently 110 this summer and I never had it push gas out. (but with the fuel mileage I get, there's plenty of air space in the tank shortly after fill up)

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my mustang conversion I placed a fuel filter in reverse above the fuel tank so if it pushes fuel up into it it will drain back to the tank.

PaveBronco

Does anyone sell new vapor canister's for Bronco's, do they source from other vehicles, new/junkyards? mine has rusted clean through.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Does anyone sell new vapor canister's for Bronco's, do they source from other vehicles, new/junkyards? mine has rusted clean through.

I don't think they do....

Bought mine (and cover) from member here. They do come up for sale from time to time on eBay and here.....

I plan to source the charcoal canister from a truck or something I can find at the junk yard/pick and pull

Tim

PaveBronco

Thanks Tim and Viperwolf1, will check out the local Pick & Pull, and tell the wife I'm helping the environment.

Ark Bigfoot

I have a 1972 Bronco 302-V8. I am putting in a new 13 gal fuel tank. It doesn't have a charcoal filter under the passenger seat on the frame. The lines are blocked off. It does have the aux tank also. Can someone give in some guidance on how to hook up the vapor vent lines from the new 13 gal tank? Should I block them off? Run a line on one of them and put some type filter on the end?