• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GM 1 wire alternator help 1976 bronco

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
ok i have a 1 wire self exciting alternator and want to do away with the factory voltage regulator and alternator on the bronco. my question is do i use the big black wire that powered the original alt or do i kill it and run a heavy wire from the battery to the alt and its done ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Rich

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the 1-wire is 60 amps or less then just hook it up to the big wire already there.
If it is more then 60 amps then it will probably overwhelm the stock wiring and should get a direct feed to the battery. that will render the factory ampmeter useless.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he just said.

I'm running a 1-wire 140A alternator, 4 ga connection direct to battery, and a volt meter to keep track of its output.

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
thanks, i figures as much. do i need to do anything with the voltage regulator or just leave it there so the amp gauge works as well. its a 65 amp stock alternator, hoping i don't have to rev it much to make it charge its a self exciting so will see how that goes.

Thanks for the fast responses much appreciated

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just unplug it. Unless you have a need to remove it, just leave it. Someday, someone will be on the trail and need one. You can take it off and give it to them.

70_Steve

Old Guy
thanks, i figures as much. do i need to do anything with the voltage regulator or just leave it there so the amp gauge works as well. its a 65 amp stock alternator, hoping i don't have to rev it much to make it charge its a self exciting so will see how that goes.
What Broncobowsher said.

The circuit for the voltage regulator has nothing to do with the ammeter. The ammeter is "wired" in the loop that starts (ends?) at the heavy wire at the alternator (alternator output) and ends at the fusable link at the starter solenoid, which is/was connected directly to the battery. It is the direction and amount of current flow in that loop that the ammeter indicates.

Just cap off the heavy wire at the alternator, and install a voltmeter. The voltmeter will give you much more information about the state of your charging system.