• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Go fast Broncos

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Building a NORRA Pioneer Bronco, trying to determine what coil to go with up front with 2.5" of lift and single shock. A few options out there off the shelf but hopefully those of you who have built one in the past could weigh in on your experiences.

I know the Deaver coils that JBG have available run soft - have a set on my 76 and had a set on my solid axle 94 Bronco as well - both great on the street but assume soft springs will make the shocks would work extra hard in the desert.

I have a set of Duff coils on my 69 and its a pig up front but they do fairly well.

Anyway, looking for some advice as I would like to get some ordered this week.

EDIT: forgot to mention a few people i have talked to have suggested running 78-79 bronco springs...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check with Andrew (BajaBronco) or ToddZ here to see what they've found to work best over the years.
They've used some of our variable rates, but also many others I would bet.

I'm not sure if you just want it to be "stiff" or if a certain amount of softness is actually good for the overall effect. The variables start off soft, but get stiffer than stock as they compress too.
The full-size Bronco coils will likely lift you 1.5 to 2.5 inches over stock, but certainly be stiff through their entire run. Good for keeping you off the bumpstops, but what about the overall handling aspect? I don't know, but that's why I thought Andrew and Todd and a few of the others here that have raced theirs will know.

Even custom coils are not out of order. And not prohibitively expensive either.
But as you probably know already, your shocks are going to be the key. Well, the other half of the key anyway. Obviously everything has to work together, but shocks are the boss.
What are you planning in that department?

Very interested to hear what those with these experiences will suggest.

Good luck. Both in the build, and the racing!

Paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
In 2012, we ran the old school constant rate coils in our original '69 1000 winner truck. I haven't checked the rate on them but I think they were pretty stiff (cut down F-Series coils, perhaps). Since 2013, we've run the WH coils.

I run some Deaver-like coils on my regular Bronco and they're probably a little soft for something like NORRA.

I also have a pair of Duff's newer 2.5" coils and I'd like to run them sometime just because the inner-engineer in me likes to futz around with such things :).

I never have a pair of calipers around to measure Boyd Jaynes' coils because I'm curious what the rate is on them. They're constant rate.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Good for keeping you off the bumpstops, but what about the overall handling aspect? I don't know, but that's why I thought Andrew and Todd and a few of the others here that have raced theirs will know.

Even custom coils are not out of order. And not prohibitively expensive either.
But as you probably know already, your shocks are going to be the key. Well, the other half of the key anyway. Obviously everything has to work together, but shocks are the boss.
What are you planning in that department?

Paul

Will be running a single 12" Fox 2" reservoir shock at each front corner. I was initially looking at either the stock 78-79 Bronco coils or Deavers from JBG for a 5" lift and cut them down as needed - I know the heat from cutting can affect the spring rate however..

In 2012, we ran the old school constant rate coils in our original '69 1000 winner truck. I haven't checked the rate on them but I think they were pretty stiff (cut down F-Series coils, perhaps). Since 2013, we've run the WH coils.

I run some Deaver-like coils on my regular Bronco and they're probably a little soft for something like NORRA.

I also have a pair of Duff's newer 2.5" coils and I'd like to run them sometime just because the inner-engineer in me likes to futz around with such things :).

I never have a pair of calipers around to measure Boyd Jaynes' coils because I'm curious what the rate is on them. They're constant rate.

Todd Z.

I have been just looking at the WH coils for a 2.5" lift to start with, have to start somewhere and it might be close enough for this effort.

from my online intelligence gathering the last list of specs from Boyd's bronco they were running a custom coil from PAC Racing Springs, don't know if they continue to do so...

Mike Bernard

Landshark99,
If you need or want to check the rates I have a Coil Spring Tester you can use.
Mike

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
from my online intelligence gathering the last list of specs from Boyd's bronco they were running a custom coil from PAC Racing Springs, don't know if they continue to do so...

Yes, they still have the PAC springs. I counted the active coils but didn't have a pair of calipers handy at NORRA this year :).

Brian Godfrey (Boyd's co-driver) always seems to get a little nervous when I look under their truck :).

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... I know the heat from cutting can affect the spring rate however.

Yes, that's why you never use a flame cutter unless you have to.
A thin grinding wheel, or cutting-specific wheel is the way to go I do believe. Others will know for sure.

Even those will build up heat of course, but not near as much as a cutting torch. And you can always stop half way through the cut and take up where you left off after it has a little time to cool.

I think this is the preferred method these days.
Well, preferred would be the correct coil out of the box of course! But we know how that goes...%)

Paul

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Yes, they still have the PAC springs. I counted the active coils but didn't have a pair of calipers handy at NORRA this year :).

Brian Godfrey (Boyd's co-driver) always seems to get a little nervous when I look under their truck :).

Todd Z.

Nerd Alert! ha ha just kidding :)

I have been saving every photo i can of their setup, have lots of nice shots of the front, just not many of the rear but i think i have that figured out :)

Yes, that's why you never use a flame cutter unless you have to.
A thin grinding wheel, or cutting-specific wheel is the way to go I do believe. Others will know for sure.

Even those will build up heat of course, but not near as much as a cutting torch. And you can always stop half way through the cut and take up where you left off after it has a little time to cool.

I think this is the preferred method these days.
Well, preferred would be the correct coil out of the box of course! But we know how that goes...%)

Paul

That was the plan - cut off wheel. But honestly coils are relatively cheap so I might start with stock and go from there...

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That was the plan - cut off wheel

I use a band saw, or porta-band, either work good and keep temp down. I have used cutoff wheels with no effects that I could tell but without a spring compression tester it would prob be difficult to tell any difference.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Landshark, you've no doubt noticed the official photos of the BJ Bronco are very short on detail, especially of the suspension and shocks. Want to make them really sweat, get out a tape measure and a set of calipers.....

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Landshark99,

If you need or want to check the rates I have a Coil Spring Tester you can use.

Mike

Sorry mike missed this! Well i am going to start with a set of wildhorses coils and go from there. Might be wise to test them and see how they run and make adjustments from there.

Mike Bernard

Yeah, I will grab it next time I am at the shop. Just let me know when you want it and i can bring it down or meet up.
Mike

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i'd really like to rate all the vendors coils and see how they compare. definitely a ride difference in them

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i'd really like to rate all the vendors coils and see how they compare. definitely a ride difference in them

Coby Hughey did that almost 20 years ago, mainly for purposes of comparing flex back in those days.

I think it would be an interesting comparison as well - a lot of springs have changed since then.

Todd Z.

Rob1195

Hey Chris, do you have a model number on the Fox shocks you’re going to go with ?

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Hey Chris, do you have a model number on the Fox shocks you’re going to go with ?

Sorry missed this. I am running 12” fox reservoir shocks 2” bodies up front something similar in back but maybe a tad bigger, all of them custom valved . I have to look at the invoice to get the part number.

Rob1195

If you get a chance, I’d appreciate it if you could post the part numbers.thanks