• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Go Pro in your Bronco

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I noticed at Super Cel that several people had the Go Pro cameras mounted in their rigs. I also saw some pretty cool video shot from them. I was just wondering if the Go Pro is any better at vehicle shots than say a Flip Camera?

The Flip is way cheaper... Does the Go Pro have optics that are that much better?

Thinking about buying one of these before my trip to Colorado in two weeks. Not able to take the Bronco but I will have a rental and a friend is taking his toy hauler pulling his Jeep so we may get a few chances for some nice video.

If you have one which mounting package did you get? The outdoor kit of the Motorsport kit? Obviously I would need a vehicle mount but I wondered if anyoen was using the chest or head mounts for hiking.

Any thoughts on these?

Greg

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I use a contour180HD while riding Motocross with the boys all the time. Its similar to a GoPro, just a different form factor that makes it easy to use with a goggle mount. All these types of cameras are fixed focus, and generally in the 120* range of view, so 'objects are closer than they appear'.

The only advantage to the GoPro over the flip would be the array of mounting options. GoPro has many types including a suction style that will mount on a car/bronco.

I've never considered actually using it in a Bronco, but on a mountain bike, dirt bike or just around the campfire when the kid's are doing something ill advised, its fantastic! ; )

Ensane13

Loc.
Sandy Hook
My GoPro Hero 2 shows up today. They are amazing cameras with great video quality. Lots of attachments and a waterproof housing they can take a lot of abuse. I will have mine strapped to the roll bar at Gore in just over a week and I can't wait to see the footage. They have also just release a wifi transmitter to watch the video directly on a smart phone while the camera is recording which is pretty cool as well. My pal has the orginial hero which is great as well and you can pick that up a little bit cheaper but the hero2 specs are a lot higher. If you get two of them you can also have them film in 3D. The list of cool factors goes on and on. :)

1973 Houston

Loc.
Houston
seriously i would go with to go pro ive seen flip cameras posted on sites.... the videos looks like they were shot from potatos..
my2cents
~Ryan

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I have a flip camera and it has done a good job.... A little better than a potato :)

Here is some video I shot a few years ago on it for my daughter to use for recruiting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-JU2Q8yPws

I still use the Flip camera but thought about the Go Pro as an upgrade. Besides using it in the Bronco I wanted to try it fly fishing and use the Wi-Fi remote for controlling the camera from the dugout during games.

Just looking for opinions from people who have used them.

Greg

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i picked up a used GoPro a while back, CHEAP! can mount them about anywhere. i've got a mount on the side of my back bumper, i'm thinking about putting a mount on the cross member above my rear axle, maybe on my front bumper, somewhere inside, etc..................

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I use my DroidX mounted to the windshield. Good video and I dont need to buy something separate.
If i was going ti video my Polaris Razor or a dirtbike i would want a Gopro. Just my two cents

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My wife just bought me a GoPro2 for mountain biking, motocross, off-roading...general shenanigans and such. Can't wait to try out as it's always nice to have records of stupid actions so that I can maybe learn from them later. I really like the ruggedness and mounting options of the GoPro's over some of the other options.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I love the GoPro! Never leave home without it ;D Stop motion of almost the entire i95

[youtube]3KJEgjUQwe8[/youtube]

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
I got the GoPro Hero2 for Christmas and used the head strap set up to video my daughters basketball games. I also wore the head strap in one of the below videos. The other video has the suction cup mount on the side of the Bronco.

I should get commission from GoPro because I've convinced 6 other friends to get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QehtXTJovM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJXBdhVFqtg

I am not a paid endorser. THis thing is BA! Get the motorsports package. then add the headstrap and rollbar mount.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Got the Go pro Hero 2 also. Used it for the first time last weekend on my jetski with the head strap.
The clarity is unbelievable. You can read all the info on my gauges and what time it is on my wrist watch at over 65 mph!

BLUE72

Go pro is a nice product but I can tell you there is a new camera that is going to be launching in the US soon. The camera is called Ion. It has a better shape, easier to use, it is wireless instead of blue tooth. It is also waterproof out of the box and is more bang for your buck. It will come with all mounts and include Icloud space at no charge. You can stream photos or video instantaneously to facebook or email. Check it out. These guys have done their homework and it will start to take off in the next few months. I was able to play with one a few weeks ago and compare to my Go pro hero. There is no comparison.

http://www.iontheaction.com/

http://www.facebook.com/iontheaction

Last edited:

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
GoPro HD Hero here...

I have a bunch of mounts for it; car suction cup, bike mounts, helmet mounts, headstrap, etc. I've used it for biking, auto racing, winter sports, I've even slapped it onto some high-speed RC models and tried to capture vid at that level.

I did a simple vid on my EB using Sony Vegas for editing:
https://vimeo.com/38655730

Overall I like the camera. Don't think I'd buy one just for the Bronco necessarily. As long has you have multiple uses for one then it's worth the steep cost.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Got a GoPro end of last year. Quality is amazing. It is used to film HD TV shows. Great combonation of quality and simplicity. Just hook it up and shoot. Point in the general direction and go.

One of my favorite features is the 10 frames in 1 second. Get to an action scene with most any other still camera (most digital are absolutly horrible) and jst hit the shutte during the action. I have given the camera to someone and done something mundane like jump over the 4-corners. Of those 10 frames there are a couple that come out good.

They are a little addictive. You get the camera (mine was the motorsports version) and it comes with a nice collection of mounting bits. Then you can get a few more. The bicycle mount does small diameter tubing, they also have one for roll bar tubing size. Tripod mount and then add in a flexible ball and socket tripod and it will grab all kinds of neat things. I have the headband mount but have not really used it. Kinda like owning a Bronco, there is that big expense then all the little things that just make it better and better. I keep threatening to get the 3D adaptor and second camera.