• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goin to Japan!

galen1970b

So...the USAF has decided that it needs more early Broncos in Japan.....
Has anyone here even contemplated bringing their truck over...
and if so....how much of a pain in the ass is it?
I don't like the idea of my truck sitting in my parents...questionable barn for at least 4 years..

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most people I've known that were stationed in Japan really enjoyed it. I shipped a car to Germany once wasn't that bad; wish I could give some insight on shipping to Japan. Good luck with the assignment!

jcb9089

From my experience stationed in England and Korea, leave it at home.

I didn't take a Bronco to England and glad I didn't. Roads are small with tight turns, designed for little cars. One of the silliest things I saw in England was a Hummer driving around base. Couldn't miss the thing or park it anywhere; I'm sure the owner regretted that decision.

My advice, save $ and dream about the Bronco. Enjoy Japan and leave the Bronco for the states. Once you are back in the states working on the Bronco, you will be dreaming about Japan.

Golfball

Better start doing some research on shipping an older car over there. When I was active duty (even though I didn't go to Japan) I had friends that went and they said that Japan is very strict on what gets shipped there. And the Bronco would seem huge compared to the average Japanese car. I would hate to see you leave it behind but do your homework and make the best decision.

Good luck and enjoy your tour! And thank you for your service.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Thank you for your service to our country sir. It's men like you that put your azz on the line so we have the freedom to do things like....chat on the internet about old Bronco's we're passionate about.

And I concur, it would neat to have a Bronco there, but its' not practical. You'll spend a lot of $ shippping, draw a LOT of attention having a 40+ year old Amercan made classic -maybe the wrong kind of attention, gasoline prices are very high, parts would have to be shipped international if/when it needs simple maintenance

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Where in Japan are you going?

My advice is to Leave it home. While it would be cool to have over there its not worth the hassel. You'll have to pass Japenese inspections and if you have issues like was said you will have to wait for parts. Plus I think your vehicle is more or less impounded until its fixed.
Gas prices are usually not to bad on base but still may be high. Roads tend to be smaller over there as well. Shipping over and back is a hassle cant have any leaks and you may have to get it reinspected to bring it back into the states.
The bronco would get attention but probably more from people wanting to buy it from you than the "wrong" kind. Japan is a pretty calm place as far as that stuff goes not that it doesnt happen but its not like the states.
So leave it at home. Get you a nice nissan Skyline to tear up the streets in. Keep a eye out for a suzuki samuri the old ones had 2 stoke engines and were a hoot. Doubtful many are left tho due to there inspection system.

Bigbird

LEAVE IT HOME!!!!! You can pick up a cheap ride when you get there.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

I've been to Japan many times(I'm a Flying Crew Chief) It wont cost me anything to get it over there....Uncle Sam pays for that. And believe it or not...my truck is about as mechanically sound as it gets!!! So far the plan is...Since my parents are up in Seattle (I grew up in Olympia) Is when I get back from Bagram..is to get my doors, hard top and tailgate painted...install them. as well as a insulation and carpet kit....for an Epic Bronco road trip!!! Since I cant take any of my tools with me...I'll be loading up a small covered trailer with said tools(welder, shop press power tools saws boxes etc..) and throwing the family in the Bronco for a ride from Little Rock....to Pheonix...to visit inlaws.....then from there up to Wa to visit my parents as well as either shipping/storing my truck(so far looks like storing..) then on the plane from there to Japan....And Uncle Sam will again pay for the travel days and mileage up to Seattle...I'm gonna have so much work to do when I get home!!!(also picking up a suspension system and a 23 gallon gas tank for the trip...kids will be in car seats so thats as comfy as it gets for them...and the Procar rally seats are comfy for long stretchs.....with the insulation and carpet(over my bedliner..) should be a pretty quiet and comfy ride across the country..

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I don't think they'll let me drive it up Mt.Fuji.....

It would be a lot cooler if you did:

wooderson.jpg

1975 BRONCO

1975 Bronco
Loc.
Spanaway WA
Japan

I was stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan in 1986 thru 1988. At that time, I had a 1977 F250 4X4 Highboy. The Air Force would not allow me to take it there! Maybe Toyota is afraid of Ford on their home turf, and to top it off, I had to drive a Toyota Celica over there. I would say if you can take it, take it. Anyways, enjoy Japan, us military people are very lucky to get to go to these other countries and experience them!

PaveBronco

The AF should pay to store one vehicle, I've got several out of storage after an OS PCS. lots of dust, but otherwise ok. I've heard there are places that will store them and start them once a month or so....I stored mine at my in-laws "barn" when I did an Osan stint, I spent about 5 minutes getting it started and several hours getting rid of all the mud dauber and wasp nests....
I'd leave it...by a cheap Boonie bouncer from a guy PCS'ing back, should be a lemon lot on base...

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
One of my neighbors just came back from Japan with a lifted Jeep. I'll try to stop by tonight and ask him what he thinks about taking the Bronco. I might have missed it, but which base are you going to? Didn't I meet you at Elmendorf a few years ago?

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
If I could have taken mine to Okinawa I would have loved it! Besides the occasional monsoon that place is a tropical paradise and perfect for year round toplessness.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Yes Chief, I was stationed at Elmendorf and we've met. I'll be heading to Yokota...gettin brand new J-models soon!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While your lucky the bronco is old enough to take, You can still be denied shipment of it. And again getting it to pass emissions and safety inspection in Japan may be a obstacle. They have all kinds of rules you may not even be able to meet them all without great expense and Id forget the lift kit if you are taking it. Big tires may bring you all kinds of issues as well. Im not even sure what they would do if you cant meet there requirements maybe the AF would store it for you until you PCS but thats doubtful. Youd probably have to sell it although Im sure you could make a bundle off it.

Also keep in mind that hey drive on the other side of the road and your steering wheel will be on the wrong side. it can create a lot of confusion. I remember countless times we'd see people driving on the wrong side heck I even did it myself a time or two.
Yes the AF ships your vehicle to the port for free but you have to pay for everything else.
Most likely the Chiefs neighbor bought his jeep from AAFES and had it waiting at his port of call. highly doubtful he had it in Japan. As they dont allow new US vehicles in there country. Of course Its been quite awhile since I was in Japan so some things may have changed. During my 7 years there I can only remember seeing one american POV
While it would be cool to have a bronco in japan Id save yourself the hassle and leave it home.

Bigbird

LC-130 Avionics, currently in Antarctica. Here's a pic of my equipment. Sorry for the hijack. Good luck in Japan. I did a bit of time at Kadena.

Attachments

• LC.png
    LC.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 27