• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goin to Japan!

sdugs

Loc.
Jax, FL
I would recommend leaving it home no matter how much it hurts. As others have stated narrow roads, small/not much parking, steering on other side all contribute. Also fuel is very expensive. You can always pick up a good economical car while there. Most people just sell their cars for cheap when they leave and get passed on from 1 military to the next. I was down in Sasebo and had a little 3 cylinder pickup truck 5 speed on the column. Also has 4 motorcycles. The Japanese love new things and get rid of good used cars and bikes all the time. Have fun. I really enjoyed Japan when stationed there. Thinking about going back now as I still work with the Navy as a civilian and can do a 3 year tour up In Yokosko.

Sean
68 and 77 Bronco

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I can't remember which one of the Facebook pages or here on CB, there is a Japanese guy that has a few Early Broncos. One of them looked to be a Stroppe.

d4xycrq

Loc.
Boyertown
Some AF types may recall seeing a red 77 on Alconbury, Mildenhall and Lakenheath ---- that was me. (1998-2005) No regrets. But UK is different than Japan!

Ray

HB73

This one shipped to Japan last year. It was private party, so not sure what kind of headaches they encountered. I'll ask my buddy (he exports cars) what kind of hassles he encountered when he returns from a trip next week.
b4afa1faaf66ca323f1e0e52418abffc.jpg
851512ee5451daf285e36c4380f1ccfe.jpg

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Thanks for all the input!! I think my major hangup would be the lift on the truck...still trying to find a solid website with official regs and standards(emmisions)..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure what they do on a imported vehicle but I do remember something about being able to get some type of exemption for modified vehicles but it was $$ or should I say Yen. Most of the GI's never bothered getting the expemtion on our modified rice burners.
You'll be lucky if the exporter actually knows what has to happen on the import side of the house once its in Japan even then its still the buyers problem to deal with the actual requirements to get it on the road.
Lots of people would have brought back cars like nissan skylines or other cars that you cant get here but to import one to the states requires getting upgraded to meet US specs which costs way more than the car will ever be worth. I kinda doubt its that way to bring a US car into japan but I think the costs will still be more than its worth.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It's been a while since I was in the service, but as I recall lots of folks who took vehicles to Japan ended up using them strictly on base where they did not have to meet the Japanese requirements. Then they picked up a cheap local car for trips off base.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Yeah, I'll know more about options when I get back home. Still doesnt change the fact that either way I'll be getting it ready for a cross country road trip. I'll be towing a small enclosed 5x8 trailer up to my parents in Seattle from Little Rock...Just getting a parts list together. After I paint my doors tailgate and hardtop...it'll just need some suspension work. Since my parents will be using it while I'm gone. I was thinking of installing that sway bar kit as well as new leafs for the rear and shocks around...are the adjustable Ranchos make that big a difference?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck man, Hopefully you can work it out. Would be pretty cool I think. But it may not be worth the hassle.