• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going to 347 Stroker... worth doing the Explorer Front End Dress?

sk1nw4lk3r

I recently acquired a 347 stroker motor for next to nothing. It's got GREAT specs on it, and I'm going to take it to be dyno'd prior to putting it into my 70.

When we were at Silver Lake for the Takeover, I made it up test hill, but at the top it was a "CMON BABY CMON BABY CMON BABY" type of situation, so naturally, I decided I needed more power.

SO- now is the time, if any, to do the Explorer front dress conversion. I have a dual return power steering pump already for my Hydroboost, so I'll need to convert that to a serp pulley, but aside from that, should I pick up the alternator, water pump, etc? If I understand correctly, it's a reverse flow water pump... so will I need a new radiator also?

What are all the benefits of this conversion? Anything I should know?

Thanks!

Sorry for the photo quality, taken by the seller from his FB post-

67360941_470257737099028_5134641227798413312_n.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If anything, go serp for alternator drive side, and use WH bracket for PS on the driver side, what I did to solve the "really tiny looking explorer pump trying to turn 35;s". I know, I know, folks use the exploder pump just fine. The serp gets you unlimited amps out of your alternator, with no squeal

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
You'll like the 347 compared to the 302. Great article in the link. Many more reasons for swapping than not. I didn't even consider it. I just did it. There was a guy on here that sold reconditioned front serp dressings. I got mine from him but I can't remember his handle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is pretty much no reason to not go Explorer serpentine in an EB body. It's just the best OE setup around for us. There are more and more aftermarket kits coming out of course, but not all of them have the short extension of the Explorer.

But as you may have found out in that other thread Mars linked to, you don't pick and choose parts with the Explorer front accessory drive. YOU USE IT ALL or it won't work.
The exception of course is the power steering in your case, but the timing cover dictates that you use an Explorer-based water pump, alternator, and other key items.
If you want to retain the A/C compressor with your pump though, you will likely need to get a bit creative.

Have fun with all of your new-found power too!
By the way... What gear ratio and tire size and transmission are you currently running? Will you keep that with the new engine, or re-gear?

Paul

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Very nice looking engine! :cool:
Everything from timing cover forward has to be changed. You can use your existing radiator if you come up with conversion hoses. Tech article is an awesome resource. Benefits include no belt squeal, lots of amps for electrical stuff, a top notch clutch fan that moves lots of air and a capable p.s. pump.
You will also have a start for fuel injection if you so choose. I did my serp 9 years ago and added the rest of the E.D.I.S. pieces, with EFIGuy's help 4 years or so later.

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

Have fun with all of your new-found power too!
By the way... What gear ratio and tire size and transmission are you currently running? Will you keep that with the new engine, or re-gear?

Paul

Excited about the new engine! Gonna be fun- taking the 1 year old rebuilt 302 and putting it into the wife's 69, to replace her old, tired, 302 2bbl.

I've got 3.50 gears, and a ZF5 speed... in 5th gear, with my current setup, climbing a hill in 5th gear is..... a struggle. I would think this would help that problem a bit!

20190827_215314.jpg

20190827_215243.jpg

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

Very nice looking engine! :cool:
Everything from timing cover forward has to be changed. You can use your existing radiator if you come up with conversion hoses. Tech article is an awesome resource. Benefits include no belt squeal, lots of amps for electrical stuff, a top notch clutch fan that moves lots of air and a capable p.s. pump.
You will also have a start for fuel injection if you so choose. I did my serp 9 years ago and added the rest of the E.D.I.S. pieces, with EFIGuy's help 4 years or so later.

You'll be hearing from me soon. I live in Howell, so making my way down to you is no problem.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Do it!
I made a bracket for my alt on the explorer front dress as I wanted to keep the 3G alt I currently have. The only reason is I have 5 other car that use the 3G so I wanted to keep the same spare.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got 3.50 gears and a ZF5 speed.

What size tires?

...in 5th gear, with my current setup, climbing a hill in 5th gear is... a struggle. I would think this would help that problem a bit!

Well, it might. But then again, it might not.
It will certainly pull harder, but will it be enough to make it all worthwhile? I guess we'll know soon enough.
But another issue is that now you might also be breaking parts and still not have the acceleration you would hope for with a powerful engine. But hopefully not...
Whenever you try to overcome gearing with more power, everything in-between the engine and the differential suffers. Transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, ring & pinion gears.
Correct gearing is the only real solution.

The trans can likely handle it if it's got all the updates.
The transfer case is ok, but they like to break output shafts if used hard.
The rear 9" is stout, but at some point things just can't take the power. The rear end lifespan probably depends more on how you drive though, than the general power output of the engine.

But maybe yours is fine. The last factor is the tires.
What size tires exactly? Measure the rolling-radius from the center of the hub to the ground and we can figure out all of your rpm levels at various speeds in fourth and fifth gears.

For example, 3.50 gears with 33" tires (say, about 31.5" on the ground) with the overdrive trans, you're at approx. 1900 rpm @ 65mph.
How happy is your new engine going to be pulling 4000+ lbs of brick/truck up a hill in fifth gear at under 2000 rpm? If it's a torque monster and fuel injected, maybe just fine. If it's carbureted and a bit over-cammed for higher rpm power, maybe not much better than your stock engine.
That's why I was asking about gearing when you said your truck struggled to get up the hill.

I may be all wrong here though, depending on how the engine is set up. That ZF trans has a nice low first gear to get you rolling anytime you want. Just wondering how much different your travels in overdrive will be, if the engine is peaky.
You said it's got good specs, so that's great. When will you be putting it on the dyno? Can't wait to see how hard it pulls from down low!

Paul

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
You'll be hearing from me soon. I live in Howell, so making my way down to you is no problem.

I've met a number of Bronco brothers this way. Always good to meet another Bronco owner! Let me know what works for you.

OP
OP
S

sk1nw4lk3r

What size tires?

Well, it might. But then again, it might not.
It will certainly pull harder, but will it be enough to make it all worthwhile? I guess we'll know soon enough.
But another issue is that now you might also be breaking parts and still not have the acceleration you would hope for with a powerful engine. But hopefully not...
Whenever you try to overcome gearing with more power, everything in-between the engine and the differential suffers. Transmission, transfer case, driveshaft, ring & pinion gears.
Correct gearing is the only real solution.

The trans can likely handle it if it's got all the updates.
The transfer case is ok, but they like to break output shafts if used hard.
The rear 9" is stout, but at some point things just can't take the power. The rear end lifespan probably depends more on how you drive though, than the general power output of the engine.

But maybe yours is fine. The last factor is the tires.
What size tires exactly? Measure the rolling-radius from the center of the hub to the ground and we can figure out all of your rpm levels at various speeds in fourth and fifth gears.

For example, 3.50 gears with 33" tires (say, about 31.5" on the ground) with the overdrive trans, you're at approx. 1900 rpm @ 65mph.
How happy is your new engine going to be pulling 4000+ lbs of brick/truck up a hill in fifth gear at under 2000 rpm? If it's a torque monster and fuel injected, maybe just fine. If it's carbureted and a bit over-cammed for higher rpm power, maybe not much better than your stock engine.
That's why I was asking about gearing when you said your truck struggled to get up the hill.

I may be all wrong here though, depending on how the engine is set up. That ZF trans has a nice low first gear to get you rolling anytime you want. Just wondering how much different your travels in overdrive will be, if the engine is peaky.
You said it's got good specs, so that's great. When will you be putting it on the dyno? Can't wait to see how hard it pulls from down low!

Paul

I've got 35" tires. Gonna dyno the engine before I rip mine out, previous owner claims 480hp. We'll see.

I agree on the gearing. I don't do any serious wheeling, but for the price of the motor, I couldn't pass the opportunity. Maybe going to 4.11s will be my next adventure, LOL.