• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

going to 4.11 gear

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
Hello
i would like to go to a 4.11 gear in my 75 bronco, now i know for sure that the dana 44 in the front is original and i also know that the rear end is not and i'am not sure what year it is but i do know that it is a big bearing rear end.can i just order the gear sets or do i need to identify anything? front and rear,
thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As long as the rear is a 9in the gear set doesnt matter. But your D44 will either need a new carrier for 4 series gears or you need the "thick" gears that will allow 4 seriers gears to fit a 3 series carrier. Also a good time to replace bearings and seals and you'll also need setup kits for both axles.

OP
OP
L

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
yes planned to change all the bearings/seals but can you tell me more about the 3 and 4 series carrier, how will i know what i have do i need to take it apart first?
thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What gears do you currently have? If 3.50's you will have a 3 series carrier. 3.90 or lower(higher numerically) then its a 4 series carrier. Doesnt need to be taken apart unless you believe that the gears have been changed before.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes you need a different carrier for the 4:10 ..Also on the front there are a couple of seal up inside the axle ..It's been years since I did one .. Maybe it's called and inside tube seal ..If your going to be apart you want to get them all....

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
your better off just getting the 3.92 and up carrier it seems to be the simplest and prob cheapest choice.

also take the above advice and get a master rebuild kit for both.

OP
OP
L

lamp210

Loc.
northern michigan
i suppose when i order my gears i would specify that i have a 3 series carrier and i need the thicker gear and they should know what talking about?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i suppose when i order my gears i would specify that i have a 3 series carrier and i need the thicker gear and they should know what talking about?
yes they should know, were are you planning on ordering them from?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You only order the thick gears because you have a 3 series carrier but yes just make sure they know so there is no confusion.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
But now is a good time to decide if you need a locker or limited slip in the front. If you do, get the appropriate locker / diff and get regular gears (as opposed to thick gears.)

((Many lockers replace the current small carrier you have.))

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I got the #4 carrier for $60. Thicker gears were close to that. I swpped the #3 carrier for needed parts. I came out better with the new carrier.