• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good donor vehicle?

heywatchthis

Hi all, first post here.

I'm a new EB owner, just purchased a 66 half cab about a week ago. It's got the 170 straight 6 and the original sloppy 3 on the tree. I bought it with the intention of swapping to a V8 and an auto trans. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good donor, and I ran across an ad on CL for an 82 F250.

351 Windsor V8
C6 auto tranny
4x4 works great
Dana 60 rear (non FF), unknown gears.
Dana 44 front

Engine, trans and transfer case are supposed to be in good shape, but mileage is unknown - speedo quit working at 86K. Transfer case is unknown - I emailed the guy and he's unsure. Could it be an NP205? New brakes and flowmaster exhaust. Passed emissions last week, according to seller.

My thinking was this could be a good source for the engine, transmission, possibly transfer case as well as a Dana 44 front with disc brakes which I could have shortened. Is the Dana 60 a good swap in the rear or should I keep the Ford 9"?

Anyone have any thoughts? Worth picking up for $1200?

Thanks all! - Jason

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
I would want to hear it run and if available, a good compression check! I'm not 100%, but I think that transfer is a 203 or 208. You can probably find a tag on the front bottom of it. I have seen 208's behind auto's in EB's. As for the 9" in the rear, I would keep it! Thats just opinion ofcoarse. Now the Dana 44 front will be the ring, pinion, and maybe some of the break parts as being useable. Even these 3/4 tons had a TTB (twin traction beam) front suspension. Which is night and day to the solid axle front on the EB. Hope this helps.

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
Forgot, the Dana 30 you should be carrying in the front might be a reason to find a 44, depending on your final goals. But the 44 in this truck is not a solid axle.....

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Welcome aboard and where are you located? Personally if I had a stock 66' half cab 6 banger I'd keep it as is, there aren't many left... I've been looking for one myself to keep all stock...:-X

OP
OP
H

heywatchthis

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a little north of Denver, CO in the suburbs.

Keeping it stock is an option, but I'd need to have the 6 banger gone over by a mechanic to be comfortable running it for long. It runs ok, but started smoking on me a bit yesterday. Street, and some trail is my goal - no heavy rock crawling.

It's already been chopped on a bit - fenders and quarter panels were cut to accommodate 34" tires, and the rocker panels are long gone as well. Floor is rotted out of course. The hood is bashed in a bit, but the seller threw in a straight one to replace it with. I will have to cut in a hood scoop though, to clear the tall carb that's on there.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5383364/1/My Bronco?h=e8e9ad

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Sounds like you have a great starter project. As stated above that donor truck may not be as compatible as you would like. Years back I swapped my I6, 3spd manual for a 302 & C4 Auto.
I ended up going with a '74 donor EB. This was a pretty basic swap that retained all the structual integrity of the truck. No cutting this or modifying that (except for new motor towers for the 302). In this swap you retain your transfer case cross memeber, original drivelines, speedo gear, etc.

72-Madisyn

Loc.
Medford
as far as ease of the swap goes either a 302 or a 351 with the c4 behind it is going to be your best bet. as I have recently found out on this site putting a c6 in requires driveline and crossmember mods as well. If you are doing it, look into fuel injected 5.0 motors, the trend in motor swaps in EB's for fuel consumption and reliability. I am currently working on mine and am keeping the stock 3 speed floor shift in for the time being. Good luck and welcome to the madness!

BFD305

Loc.
Greeley, Colorado
Nice Bronco

That looks like a great start. I have always liked those half cabs. Where are you north of Denver? I am up in Greeley, there is one yard (Riverside Truck Parts) that has several EB's with some good parts. We are just starting a late model FI, 5.0 swap on my sons.

Did you pick yours up locally?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hi all, first post here.

I'm a new EB owner, just purchased a 66 half cab about a week ago. It's got the 170 straight 6 and the original sloppy 3 on the tree. I bought it with the intention of swapping to a V8 and an auto trans. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good donor, and I ran across an ad on CL for an 82 F250.

351 Windsor V8
C6 auto tranny
4x4 works great
Dana 60 rear (non FF), unknown gears.
Dana 44 front

Engine, trans and transfer case are supposed to be in good shape, but mileage is unknown - speedo quit working at 86K. Transfer case is unknown - I emailed the guy and he's unsure. Could it be an NP205? New brakes and flowmaster exhaust. Passed emissions last week, according to seller.

My thinking was this could be a good source for the engine, transmission, possibly transfer case as well as a Dana 44 front with disc brakes which I could have shortened. Is the Dana 60 a good swap in the rear or should I keep the Ford 9"?

Anyone have any thoughts? Worth picking up for $1200?

Thanks all! - Jason

Hate to be the barer of bad news for the donor truck...
Double check that it is a 351W and not a 351M. Some of the early trucks had the M. '82 is about the change over year. Some people don't know the difference.
The C6 is big and long. Unless you have some very special reason for the C6 it is more work then it is worth.
The D4 front will be a twin traction beam IFS POS. Should be 8 lug, maybe even a dana 50 IFS. Nothing usable.
Dana 60's for the rear are very common. Getting the right one with the right sized axles is the only valuable ones. That semi floating 60 just doen't have the right parts to be of value. I found a Dana 60 from an international thnking it was great, full floater even. It has all the wrong stuff as well and makes a great paperweight/farm truck axle.
I don't remember the last year of the 205, though it was '79.

you do realize that full size truck stuff is wider then the early Bronco? Any axle swap will either need narrowing or have the tires sticking out past the fenders (many places not legal for road use). The only stock width D44 that will be a bolt in is another early bronco D44 axle.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Personnally I dont think its a good deal for a donor vehicle. Sounds like a good deal as a driver/parts getter though.
More than likely the engine is a 351W. 351M's were usually only in fleet or F350's after 79. C-6 tranny not really all that desireable nowadays unless you need the beef. T case is probably a NP208 (problematic at best they had oiling issues) although it could have a borgwarner 1356 the NP205 was last used by ford in 79.
As was mentioned axles wont swap over either TTB front probably D50 and rear D60.

Really there are few good donor vehicles for EB's that have it all. Usually you have to search for many different vehicles to get all the parts. I would look at 88 up F250's for engine and tranny's, 78/79 big bronco and F150 for steering and possibly axles if you want to go full width. Disc brake HP D44 and 31 spline 9in.
But really what are your plans for your bronco? if your sticking with tires under 35in what your current drivetrain with exception of engine and tranny are fine. You can convert to front disc brakes by doing the ch#vy disc brake conversion on your D30.

OP
OP
H

heywatchthis

A lot of great knowledge on this site. I appreciate all the feedback. I've decided to hold off on the swap until I'm more knowledgeable on what I'm getting into. Right now electrical issues are my priority. I've decided to completely re-wire the truck with an EZ Wire harness, since only half my lights worked, and there was a short in the system somewhere that killed the battery. I spent a bit of time on troubleshooting the existing wiring, but I'll feel better with a full re-wire.

I've got my new harness on hand, and I'm working on yanking the old. Slowly, so I can keep track of how everything was routed and hooked up. Hope to have her running again in a week or so, then on to getting my smoky six straightened out.

BFD305- I'm in Northglenn, not so far north as Greeley. I picked up my truck not far, in Wheat Ridge. Thanks for the tip on the yard. I'd love to know how your EFI swap goes. Did you wait till you have everything you need before starting, or are you sourcing parts as you go?

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
As a thought check out some of the 6 banger engines built by these guys here. More than a few times I have thought man that is VERY cool.

Although I do understand the desire for a big ole honkin motor.

Another thought is I just refreshed my top end after my BiL got a brass retainer down the carb in into what I later realized was 3 cylinders 34 and number 6.

Anyhow it is a 302 and the improvement is really very incredible at least to me with the aftermarket heads, intake, 4 barrel and already had an RV cam. I took it for its initial ride today and it just pulls and pulls, I won't win any drag races but the torque is great.

The point is if a 351W isn't in the cards maybe a 302 with some extras. Keep the 6 cylinder in a nice safe place for sure you probably want to keep that motor with it

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
I think that is a good decision, do not get in a rush. Nothing is worse than buying parts that are of no use. Take your time and learn what are good deals for parts. Try to avoid shipping stuff unless the price is right.

The guys on this site have a world of knowledge and are happy to teach. Just remember to have fun with it.