• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good insurance news? Early Christmas present

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I get call the other day from my Allstate rep..been with the same family-run agency for 23 years and I usually have 6 to 8 vehicles insured at any given point in time. Anywho, he says" You interested in saving some money? Allstate has a new program that just went in to effect for vehicles over 30 years old". Upshot is that the insurance bill for 6 month period on my '69 and '77 dropped from $475 to $175..for same exact coverage as I had before. That is for BOTH vehicles combined..not for each one. My '78 Bronc will fall under the new program next year. ;D ;D ;D

This is NOT 'collector/antique' coverage or anything restrictive a far as operating the vehicles...that was the first question I asked.

I'm in Maryland...don't know if this is country wide or what..but might be worth checking out if you are with Allstate.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I was with Allstate for about 20 years. When they canceled my home insurance after only one minor clam in 20 years ( busted washing machine hose flooded one carpet) I canceled my car insurance with them as a result of them canceling my home insurance. I am happy for you Bill but I just dont do business with Allstate. What coverage are you carring?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
good news for sure. Hope that trickles down to the rest of the insurance companies.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was with Allstate for about 20 years. When they canceled my home insurance after only one minor clam in 20 years ( busted washing machine hose flooded one carpet) I canceled my car insurance with them as a result of them canceling my home insurance. I am happy for you Bill but I just dont do business with Allstate. What coverage are you carring?
Weird. I've had totally the opposite experience and would not go anywhere else. They settled a huge claim for damge to my place from the Hurricane of '03 in record time and even padded the payout numbers on some things to cover other things that would not have been. My '78 Bronc was in a horrific accident (I wasn't driving it) involvng a fatality and huge suit against me by one of the oher parties (8 million bucks..). Allstate fought for me for two solid years and beat them squarely. They raised my auto rates afterward by...nothing.

I'd have to look up my coerage but won't be posting it here anyway. Suffice to say, in the liability area its toward the upper end.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
AAA has had collector car insurance for forever. It cost me $16.00 a month to insure the 54 Chevy truck for a $35,000.00 stated value, that's with a $500,000.00 policy limit too. The Bronco is a little more because of the 4X4 aspect. If you do a search under "collector car insurance" you'll find insurers like Haggerty's that do specialty vehicles all day long for an incredible price. There are milage and age restrictions to most of these insurance policies though.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
only problem is most of them require you to be a certain age. where as i was not old enough for a long time. my cars have all been older than me

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AAA has had collector car insurance for forever. It cost me $16.00 a month to insure the 54 Chevy truck for a $35,000.00 stated value, that's with a $500,000.00 policy limit too. The Bronco is a little more because of the 4X4 aspect. If you do a search under "collector car insurance" you'll find insurers like Haggerty's that do specialty vehicles all day long for an incredible price. There are milage and age restrictions to most of these insurance policies though.

Exactly..and that is not what this new Allstate 'older vehicle' coverage is..not even close. Zero restrictions and same level of coverage I've always had. Heck, I have had antique/collectable insurance on various antique vehicles since 1976 and registration the same. Big difference. I keep regular-use tags and insurance on my EBs because a) I do drive them anytime I feel like it and b) I know first hand what it means to either be under-insured on in violation of the policy restrictions should you be involved in an accident.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
woot!! thanx for the heads up..I'll give them a call! Save some money on the bronco, spend some money on the bronco only fare. :D

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I get call the other day from my Allstate rep..been with the same family-run agency for 23 years and I usually have 6 to 8 vehicles insured at any given point in time. Anywho, he says" You interested in saving some money? Allstate has a new program that just went in to effect for vehicles over 30 years old". Upshot is that the insurance bill for 6 month period on my '69 and '77 dropped from $475 to $175..for same exact coverage as I had before. That is for BOTH vehicles combined..not for each one. My '78 Bronc will fall under the new program next year. ;D ;D ;D

This is NOT 'collector/antique' coverage or anything restrictive a far as operating the vehicles...that was the first question I asked.

I'm in Maryland...don't know if this is country wide or what..but might be worth checking out if you are with Allstate.

Good for you. I've been paying under $200 for the last few years on my '73, here in Southern Calif. Glad to hear you are saving money!! More left over for the EBs;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Allstate was pulling out of Florida and everything close to the beach was getting canceled. I am on the mainland about ten miles from the beach. No one has Allstate home insurance around here.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Allstate was pulling out of Florida and everything close to the beach was getting canceled. I am on the mainland about ten miles from the beach. No one has Allstate home insurance around here.

Now that you mention it, i had heard about that. They won't write new homeowner policies where I live either but they are not pulling out alltogether.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
My friend is an Allstate agent and I have policies with him. He said they don't directly insure our type trucks here in NY, they go through Hagerty. Which is fine since I have my truck with them already. Your lucky that you live in MD. and get that rate it's awesome. Hagerty isn't bad, there's no milage limit, and you can you your rig for pleasure too. I told them I drop and pick-up the kids at school as a treat and they said that's fine. They basically don't want it to be a daily driver to and from work.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
I was the last Allstate homeowner policy written in my area 2 years ago, and we got a cancel notice 2 weeks ago. My friend (Allstate rep) hooked me up with an alternate home policy though.....the hurricanes down south scared the hell out of them.......

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My friend is an Allstate agent and I have policies with him. He said they don't directly insure our type trucks here in NY, they go through Hagerty.

They won't directly insure EBs period??? Thats a new one on me..guess every state is different.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Yeah he said it's NY, all states are different, but for classics/antiques they sell you a policy that originates at Hagerty.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
AAA has had collector car insurance for forever.

Things must vary incredibly from state to state. Just this morning I called AAA and asked about classic car insurance since I am just about finished restoring my '65 Mustang. They told me they don't insure classic cars for anything more than book value. They told me that even if an appraiser valued it at $40,000 but their "gold book" valued it at $15,000 they would only insure it for $15,000.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Things must vary incredibly from state to state. Just this morning I called AAA and asked about classic car insurance since I am just about finished restoring my '65 Mustang. They told me they don't insure classic cars for anything more than book value. They told me that even if an appraiser valued it at $40,000 but their "gold book" valued it at $15,000 they would only insure it for $15,000.

This may not be as bad as you expect. This year when I went to register my Bronco project so I could license it, the tax appraisal clerk pulled out a NADA Gold Book and said what model bronco...I said 69 and she said the medium price was about $20,000! I about freaked out and told she must be reading the book wrong and she pushed it across the counter to me so I could see it. It had all of these older vehicles listed with categories such as "Fully Restored", Partially Restored" and so on. The upper end for a Bronco was in the $40K range if I recall correctly. I talked into the lowest value listed which was about $4,600 since it was for personal property tax purposes and I didn't want to pay a bunch of tax to license the bronco. But if they use these kind of values for insuring your truck you should be OK.

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Insurance

As an insurance adjuster I would say that I hope you are repeating coverage information that you read in the ACTUAL FULL POLICY and not anything that was told to you by an agent. Most of the claims I adjust are big surprises to the insured when they find out that the policy says something completely different than the agent or CSR told them when they bound it. All classic policies will have restrictions-mileage, garage requirement, insured's age.

Blue book values are way up for Bronco's. So I've got that going for me, which is nice