• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got my first bronco

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
Just picked up my first early bronco. I’ve always had 78/79 body styles. It’s a 68 and I have some questions.

For one the dash is ugly as sin and needs to go back to original. Same with seats

My main question is where is the vin tag usually? It has one on the fire wall on the driver side then a CA applied one with the same vin in the door jamb on the driver side. Is there usually one there factory?

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
There should be a vin tag on the inside of the glove box door. But it looks like your door is probably long gone. Mine was too when I bought it. There should be a vin stamped on the top side of the right frame rail as well. If my memory serves accurate you should be able to see it if you look down to the top of the frame below the cowl along side the rear of the engine. Hopefully someone else will weigh in on the subject with more info

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Do they make repo ones like they do for the mustangs? Idk why there is a CA dmv one on the door.

I have a 1967 that I purchased from the original owner. When he had it painted back in the early 90s, the paint shop removed and lost the VIN tag that was affixed to the driver side kick panel. The owner inquired at the DMV what to do about the lost tag and they issued him a state issued tag that they riveted to the driver side B pillar. Same VIN as is on the frame, but replaces the missing OEM warranty plate on the kick panel.

One of these days I keep meaning to get a replacement from Marti, but always forget.

OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
Ok maybe they didn’t know it’s on the kick panel. So they affixed a second.

Only other questionable issue is they obviously hit something hard so the driver front frame in front of the steering gear is smooshed a bit. Everything looks straight but at one point there was a fender bender

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
68 warranty tag was on glovebox door.
You can get a replacement from Marti at: https://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

Here is sample "Data Tag":
1725684150739.png

If the one on the firewall is similar to sample, they may have taken it off the glovebox door, and riveted it to firewall.

The official VIN is stamped on the frame.
Verify the FRAME VIN agrees with your paperwork.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Here is a picture. Showing the location of the VIN stamp on the frame. The VIN number is in the illuminated area of the lamp. Hope this helps.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Sorry, here is the picture.

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_011611603.jpg
    PXL_20231201_011611603.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20231201_011534304.jpg
    PXL_20231201_011534304.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 57

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
It’s a heap easier to find/see if the sheet metal is off of the passenger side. Lol. It’s on the sloping part of the frame just before it flattens out. Sometimes the numbers and letters aren’t stamped particularly deep and adds to the difficulty reading.

Randy

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Be interesting to see what you find behind the plank currently installed in your Bronco. The original dash may be repairable?

OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
Be interesting to see what you find behind the plank currently installed in your Bronco. The original dash may be repairable?

I have a feeling there is a ton of holes. Makes 0 sense what they did. Also seems to be a aftermarket harness. Once I bring it home I’ll take more pictures

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
1) I can see you have dual tanks, but if you ever convert to EFI you may not want dual tanks so no need for a switch.

2) Factory radio is simply drilling 3 holes - no "DIN" cutout needed!

I'd get rid of all that diamond plate under the hood - and hope its not hiding rust! You're missing the vent/heater ducting from the hood opening to the passenger kick panel, which you probably already knew. Other than the dash and diamond plate it looks pretty nice! My thoughts are that it is already too modified to try to go back to a 100% stock build. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
1) I can see you have dual tanks, but if you ever convert to EFI you may not want dual tanks so no need for a switch.

2) Factory radio is simply drilling 3 holes - no "DIN" cutout needed!

I'd get rid of all that diamond plate under the hood - and hope its not hiding rust! You're missing the vent/heater ducting from the hood opening to the passenger kick panel, which you probably already knew. Other than the dash and diamond plate it looks pretty nice! My thoughts are that it is already too modified to try to go back to a 100% stock build. Good luck with it!

Yea I’ll be keeping the carb so maybe I’ll just drill a hole. The diamond plate and dash all need to go! I looked under the dash and there doesn’t seem to be rust anywhere so hopefully I don’t find something hiding.

I like the slightly modded look.

OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
She’s home! Upon further deep inspection I need to address some rust and bad metal work issues.

Pass Floorpan and fire wall
Pass side kick panel
Driver side upper front floor pan
Driver kick panel.
Attach the pass fender well to the firewall area as it’s loose

OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
Dropping her off for a custom cage in the AM. Was crawling around under her and noticed some ancient cancer in the rear wheel well area. Basically behind where the door latch striker thing is. I don’t see anyway one could get back in there without removing the rear quarter panels. Doesn’t look major but kinda bummed

Edit: looks like the part is B pillar support

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueGhost93

BlueGhost93

Loc.
San Diego
Custom cage is going in so it clears the top. Has anybody ever seen this kind of windshield wiper? Trying to figure out which headliner to order from wild horses and this does not look like the wiper motors they offer. I am also under the impression that my Bronco should have had vacuum operated not electric.

https://flic.kr/p/2qijT7i
https://flic.kr/p/2qikpXY
https://flic.kr/p/2qikpXN