• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got myself a new old auxilary tank now what?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Visited a local guy that has a few old Bronco's and parts laying around. Asked him if he had an auxiliary tank so he gave me one he had laying around.. SCORE!! The tank looks in great shape but it appears to have a little film on the inside and also an old birds nest. I want to clean it out and check for leaks and was thinking just going and using a high pressure water hose to get the crap out and let it dry for a day or two. Is this a good idea??
It also needs a fuel sending unit for it....is the front tank sending unit the same as the rear?? Also what are the chances Auto Zone would know or have what Im talking about.. Anybody bought one from their local parts store??? Don't realy want to wait for it to be shipped since I want to install as soon as possible...maybe this weekend.
Also does anybody have a good picture of the house routing for the tank?? I took my tank off almost a year ago and can't remember how it hooks back up...Thanks guys

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No problem hosing it out. I'd remove any metal vent tubes first, if it has any. Early year (prior to '70) tanks didn't have vents.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol

As you can tell it looks like I have "stress" cracks in the side of the tank. I didn't notice until I filled it up with water to clean it out. Doesn't appear to leak but should I put some JB Weld over them to make sure, or is this a lost cause??

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I think it's just a matter of time before that leaks. Was the old original tank in too rough a shape to use?

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I think it's just a matter of time before that leaks. Was the old original tank in too rough a shape to use?
Yeah Tyler, the original tank had black stuff (maybe JB Weld) smeared on it with screws in the side....metal tubes were rusted out...

Man I wanted to use this thing...got it for free..didn't have those cracks in it until I filled it up with water to test it.....
Bad thing I already have the sending unit being shipped...Guees Ill get a new one....maybe it will be here by the weekend...