• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

got screwed on heads ,, but we are rebounding nicely ,,

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
heyfolks ,
well i guess i am the sucker ,, i got a real screwing on a set of heads from ebay ,,, the sale was spose to be for a rebuilt set of heads , slightly run under 1000 miles ,,,
the cost was 150.00 delivered ,, .always the skeptic , i asked many questions . and they included , why , what . and all of the usualls ,,.
any how i bought them and they showed up about a week later , i looked em over they were clean decent looking ,so i cleaned em up a bit more ,, added some go faster paint .. and installed them on my fresh built small block ,still sitting on the engine stand , figureing them to be a great deal ..
now , any one who has built up a set of heads these days , knows that it is real easy to toss 500.00 into them ,, and really not do much ,,, so i felt like i was actually coming out of the deal a winner ,,,, finally i had gotten a decent deal ,,,

so ,, fast foreward to the bronco is done , the engine is in ,, and i am running amuck ,,, seems to be running ok ,,about 1000 miles on it ,, sure got some oil consumption , but i thought it was just the break in , due to those damn chrome molly rings ,,, well i was wrong ,,, as usuall ,,,
some of the local bretheren , and i went camping and running up at the tillamook national forest ,, and i gotta say ,, it was the nastiest weather i had ever tried to camp in ,,, and it was the worst night for weather , we had has in months ,,, we all were trying to keep warm all night ,so most of us were inside the idleing vehicles ,,, except one ,,, AND HE KNOWS WHO HE IS !! so ,, along comes daylight , and we all decide to get the heck out of there ,,, and head fer home ,, at this point ,, my bronco had idled approximately 3 hrs ,,, we got all loaded ,, got green at the gills shawn up ,,{he was so sick i felt sorry fer him } loaded ,,his junk , and moved out fer home ,, well ,, easier said than done ,,, i was down one cylinder ,,, so i forced it to come home on 7 ,,, once i got er home , i tore it down ,, and found a real mess ..
out of eight cylinders , seven were burning oil ,, one severe , three ,, moderate , and three were nominal ,.
one was actually burning lean ,,imagine that ,, !!
, in the pics ,, i took of the one bad one ,, you can literally see the oil dripping out the exhaust port ,, down the side of the head , .
i tore that particular cylinder valve set out , and oh boy ,, the valve at the guide surface , was so worn out , that i could litterally feel the ridge , and wear , with the finger,,, if i pull the valve from the seat , approx 1/4 inch ,, it litterally moved side to side in the guide 1//16 of an inch ,,, basicly i am screwed on this deal , it has been six months since i bought the heads ,, ...

so folks , i guess the moral of the story is ,, it is true that if it sounds to good to be true ,, it probly is ,,, thanks to my buddie ol tonto ,, i wrangled up a decent set of gt 40 heads , and got em all reworked ,, and back on the ol grinder ,,, {short for my motor , due to the timing gear drive } so it should be back in the game some time this comming week end ,, barring no problems ,,,, i hope !!!

Attachments

• wheelin1.jpg
    wheelin1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 82
  • wheelin2.jpg
    wheelin2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 79
  • craphead2.jpg
    craphead2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 59
  • craphead.jpg
    craphead.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 56
  • crapheadvalveside.jpg
    crapheadvalveside.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 56
  • crapvalve.jpg
    crapvalve.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 42
  • crapvalve2.jpg
    crapvalve2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 56
  • crapvalveseat.jpg
    crapvalveseat.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 59
  • new heads.jpg
    new heads.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
  • newheadaonmotor2.jpg
    newheadaonmotor2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 46
  • newheads2.jpg
    newheads2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 40
  • newheadsonmotor.jpg
    newheadsonmotor.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 41

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
That sucks ! I've been an Ebay sucker a time or two myself. Didn't stop me from letting the person on the other end know how I felt about it by whatever means I could find. If you used a credit card or Pay Pal I would still file a claim even though it's been a while. What's the worst that can happen, they say no? Too bad your not closer, I have a set of true low mile H.O. heads I just pulled off mine in the classified section. So far no interest for 50 bucks.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ebay is pretty amazing! Junk parts can be rebuilt with a pressure washer, wire wheel, and a rattle can.

OP
OP
mr incredible

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
Ebay is pretty amazing! Junk parts can be rebuilt with a pressure washer, wire wheel, and a rattle can.

basicly that is exactly what happened i think ,,,
i have a new set of heads pictured above , so i am not gonna do any thing with the old ones ,, i would like to toss them through the guys front window ,,, but i dunno where he is at ,, cant remember which city ,, seems to me ,, it was vegas ,,, but i cant remember ,, i have had problems with idiots from there once before , you would think that i would learn ,,,,
the heads were off of a 79 302 ,, and the only reason i bought them , was that they had hard seats , and were freshened up already ,,,
just to put hard seats in , at the local machine shop is 350.00 and if your gonna do the seats ,, mias well buy newvalves to match ,, at 4.50 each ,, and then if i was gonna do that ,, mias well over bore the guides ,, and get over sized valves , to fit , theres another 300.00 it just goes on and on ,,,,

OP
OP
mr incredible

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
That sucks ! I've been an Ebay sucker a time or two myself. Didn't stop me from letting the person on the other end know how I felt about it by whatever means I could find. If you used a credit card or Pay Pal I would still file a claim even though it's been a while. What's the worst that can happen, they say no? Too bad your not closer, I have a set of true low mile H.O. heads I just pulled off mine in the classified section. So far no interest for 50 bucks.

pay pal says it has been too long , they have a 20 day time limit ,,, same with e bay ,,, hell i didnt even get the motor together for four months after i bought them ,,,

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You can buy new valves with oversized stems. They usually come in 0.005" and 0.015" over. Get the heads reamed to fit new valves, recut seats, lap and put them back on. They cost about $25-30 a set. I dont like to buy anything "rebuilt, overhauled or refurbished". I will pay for worn out, needs rebuilt, and then spend the time to bring them back to spec. Anybody can take apart and put back together. That would be rebuilt, just not repaired.

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
putting any money in those boat anchors is an absolute waste of money. like i mentioned earlier, a good set of e7 will make much more power than those heads you have. if you were local i would give you a set.

don't nickel and dime your self on junk heads. even after they are rebuilt they are still garbage.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
putting any money in those boat anchors is an absolute waste of money. like i mentioned earlier, a good set of e7 will make much more power than those heads you have. if you were local i would give you a set.

don't nickel and dime your self on junk heads. even after they are rebuilt they are still garbage.

Thats what I gave him, e7 heads. Should work well for him.

Hey David, did anyone ever put any pics up from the trip? I thought Shawn took a few. I only got them of the "incident" :-X

Tuck

so folks , i guess the moral of the story is ,, it is true that if it sounds to good to be true ,, it probly is ,,,

Yeah, I hate to sound like a sourpuss, but you can't get too optimistic & get your hopes up that high on anything that sounds good. You gotta be a realist. Read my tag line, & you'll get the idea. One of these days, I'm going to put it on a t-shirt,

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Thats what I gave him, e7 heads. Should work well for him.

Hey David, did anyone ever put any pics up from the trip? I thought Shawn took a few. I only got them of the "incident" :-X

Note to self for future reference: Don't try to take picture's in a moving Bronco of other moving Bronco's at dusk after drinking on an empty stomach, two pitchers of (mind you, very delicious) Beer! ;) ;D
I sent them to Mark, David and I thought you (PDXBronco) and Kevin, but may have forgotten. I can send you them if need be, but there horrible, hence the "note to self"!

Shawn

Last edited:
OP
OP
mr incredible

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
I have to ask, what is your obssesion with comma's?

my obsession ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it to make people wonder what my obsession is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and it seems to work ,, no offense ,,,

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
my obsession ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it to make people wonder what my obsession is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and it seems to work ,, no offense ,,,

Yeah but it is a little irritating to read. I used to not capitalize anything until someone said it makes it hard to read and they just skip my posts.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Be advised......
I saw a set of heads that had been re-done right, waste a set of guides in less time because the rocker angle was wrong (needed shorter pushrods).
Jon

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Never trust a head job unless she's doing it.....%)

nice camping grounds BTW

OP
OP
mr incredible

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
Yeah but it is a little irritating to read. I used to not capitalize anything until someone said it makes it hard to read and they just skip my posts.

i am not here to impress any body ,, basicly if you dont want to read it ,,, dont read it ,,,, some times in life ,, we either , sit down ,shut up ,and blend in ,,,, and pay attention , or we go on with our boaring little lives ., ignorant of other people , what their feelings are , trying to change them , to fit the profile, we think they should fit ,,, basicly , i dont care if you read it or not ,,,, or if you are frustrated in doing so ,, move on ,, past it ,,,, spend less time worrying about what other people think ,, and be your self ,,, again ,,, no offense ,,,

OP
OP
mr incredible

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
Be advised......
I saw a set of heads that had been re-done right, waste a set of guides in less time because the rocker angle was wrong (needed shorter pushrods).
Jon

yea , you are correct ,, but these were not even close to the word good .
nor were they close to the word rebuilt , or only have 1000 miles on them ,
i have built several hundred sets of heads . my opinion is that these were fouling plugs and the guy new it , thus the reason why he dumped them . and of course , to a sucker like me ,,,, .

mad , you arent the only one who has some decent places to go wheeling . you need to come the great north west one day , for the best wheeling .