• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grandma's 5.0 motor removed from an EB (edited)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have recently acquired a mustang 5.0 motor freshly taken out of an EB. The PO stated it was "running" when removed only to be replaced by a diesel motor. At the moment I have two questions:

What year is the motor?
Will the efi stuff on this motor transfer over to a Mexican 302?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Here are some numbers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 50

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well, the E7 is '87 or newer.
The intake is the style used up through '93
I see a MAF in the intake so that would make it ~89 or newer.
So the best I can make of it, '89 to '93.

Mexican block doesn't really matter for EFI. It is just a bolt on parts to a generic engine.
There are a few interface things that do matter. Distributor to cam is a HUGE one. The older block is probably running a flat tappet cam, which WILL require a different gear on the distributor. The roller cam gear will fit, but the materials are not compatible and the gears will self destruct shortly sending metal shavings all through the engine.

The firing order is different probably. The mexican 302 should be running the old firing order while the EFI is set up for the HO/351W firing order. This can sometimes cause a little drivability/tuning issue but not always. Cam swap will fix this, re-ordering the injectors and plug wires while keeping the old (mexican) cam will usually work as well. If you are getting a new cam, just go with the 351 firig order and not worry about it.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
The ECM is for a 1988 era Crown Victoria, not a Mustang. The valve covers and fuel lines on the drivers side make me think the whole engine is out of a Crown Vic. The block E7TE could be any 1987 up 302.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was thinking it was a speed density code on the computer, but didn't have my handy look up chart for it. But there is clearly a MAF right behind the air filter.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Here are more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
And another one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 27

Broncobowsher

Total hack
White top injectors (of that era) would be 14Lb, correct for a crown vic ECM.
The bolt holding the fuel rail shows that it has been removed and installed differently at least once in the past, witness marks don't line up.

Starting to look a lot more like you 5.0 HO mustang engine is nothing more then a standard 5.0 grandma engine. Starting to think the MAF is just some random part to hold the air filter.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Well, the E7 is '87 or newer.
The intake is the style used up through '93
I see a MAF in the intake so that would make it ~89 or newer.
So the best I can make of it, '89 to '93.

Mexican block doesn't really matter for EFI. It is just a bolt on parts to a generic engine.
There are a few interface things that do matter. Distributor to cam is a HUGE one. The older block is probably running a flat tappet cam, which WILL require a different gear on the distributor. The roller cam gear will fit, but the materials are not compatible and the gears will self destruct shortly sending metal shavings all through the engine.

The firing order is different probably. The mexican 302 should be running the old firing order while the EFI is set up for the HO/351W firing order. This can sometimes cause a little drivability/tuning issue but not always. Cam swap will fix this, re-ordering the injectors and plug wires while keeping the old (mexican) cam will usually work as well. If you are getting a new cam, just go with the 351 firig order and not worry about it.

Thx Bowsher, really appreciate the feedback! Sounds like I will stay away from the Mexican 302. I already know I need a flywheel for an auto as it hooked up to a manual, and I also need O2 plugs in the exhaust. I do not know the mileage but I bet it would like some hi dollar synthetic oil. What would be some good upgrades I can do to this motor without breaking the bank?
Thx again, matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
You haven't said much about the Mexican 302. Do you know its history and condition? Just askin' but if you know the Mexican 302 and consider it dependable why would you reject it over an engine that you know neither the history nor the present condition other than what the seller told you? If the Mexican is good and you know its history and condition why not just install the Mustang efi and its components on the Mexican? It's a fairly simple deal. You don't need to change the cam. My Mustang maf efi on my bone stock 302 with the old firing order has run without a hitch for 6+ years. If you're not handy with a welder any good muffler shop will install the O2 sensors. But as stated above it is mandatory to match the efi distributor drive gear to the Mexican cam which is also a simple deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You haven't said much about the Mexican 302. Do you know its history and condition? Just askin' but if you know the Mexican 302 and consider it dependable why would you reject it over an engine that you know neither the history nor the present condition other than what the seller told you? If the Mexican is good and you know its history and condition why not just install the Mustang efi and its components on the Mexican? It's a fairly simple deal. You don't need to change the cam. My Mustang maf efi on my bone stock 302 with the old firing order has run without a hitch for 6+ years. If you're not handy with a welder any good muffler shop will install the O2 sensors. But as stated above it is mandatory to match the efi distributor drive gear to the Mexican cam which is also a simple deal.

The mex 302 I can still get, it hasn't been bored yet according to PO. The PO would refund me if the motor is non-rebuildable. I was thinking of installing the Crown 5.0 and running it while I rebuild the mex 302 into a 331. Once rebuilt I could swap over the efi and enjoy a new engine. Welding/ machining is a one-weekend-a-month vocation for me. ;)