• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding Starter

KDML

Bronco started right up this morning. Stopped by the store on the way to work. When I went to restart the starter made a grinding noise on the first attempt. Turned the key a second time and Bronco started right up with no grinding.

Is this a sign of a future starter problem? Should I replace the starter? Anything to look for (flywheel or starter)?

I would like to fix this before it becomes a real problem.

Bronco is a stock 1970 with a 302/3speed and 65,000 original miles. Nothing has been changed or replaced except for regular maintenance. I have been driving regularly since May without any issues.

Thanks

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the abendix spring may be getting week, it'll probably last for a while longer but will go out sooner or later. I would replace before too long as it will start to tear up teeth on the flywheel

widowmaker77

Contributor
might also look at bolts holding starter on my 77 did one time and i found the bolts had worked loose

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
As Skiddy said, sounds like the bendix. They are cheap and easy to fix. If when you go to pull the starter off and you find the bolts loose as widowmaker suggested, tighten back up and see what happens, As that is another possiblity.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I never experienced this problem but when I pulled my engine out a few years back, discovered the starter bolts were loose. I think I'll start checking them yearly now with some other maintenance. There was evidence of abnormal wear on the starter and flexplate gears.

OBTW, have you voted this site as the Top 4X4 site today at the bottom of this page?