• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Guage Cluster Voltage Regulator

lewain

I am thinking that my voltage regulator may be bad.
Fuel reads FULL, Oil Pressure pegs high, temp is at about 120, and amp
meter remains on center at all times.
Temp does rise up to 120 as I drive and I have seen oil pressure run at about
45psi. But, not for long.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you looked at the other aspects that make gauges go all weird on you yet?
Has this just started, has it been doing it a long time, or have you just bought the Bronco and they always acted this way?
Does not initially sound consistent enough to be the IVR, but anything is possible.

First, the ammeter is not connected to the IVR and is independent. So only the fuel, water and oil matter here. And they don't sound consistent.

Pull the wires off of the three senders. The Water Temp and Oil Press are easiest, but might as well test the fuel too. When you pull the temp and press wires off and turn the key on, what do the gauges do? They should stay at zero.
If you leave the key on (use ACC for this testing, so you don't harm the ignition from leaving it on too long) ground the sending wires to the engine or known good ground. The gauges should peg full.

If neither of these things happens, report back and maybe we can figure something out.
Also while you're at it, make sure you have good grounds the way they're meant to be. In other words, not only the main engine ground, but a good one to the body from the battery, plus another good one from the back of the engine to the firewall.
Then, if you're feeling ambitious, add one from the body/firewall ground to the dash board.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
lewain

lewain

It's kind'a weird. I have had the Bronco for a month or so. It has always done this. Just drove it and the fuel guage appears to be working just took a while to get off full. Oil Pressure worked for most of a 20 minute drive. Temp is still at about 160. Maybe it just runs cool? Oil pressure doesn't make sense though.

Works for a while and then pegs out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bad news would be if it's working properly and your oil pressure really IS dropping when warm!
But that can happen with an old, tired and worn out motor. Or with oil that's so old it just no longer has the viscosity properties it was born with.
Did you change all the fluids when you bought it, or did the PO say they did it? I never trust PO's, but even if I did (like with a receipt or it was someone I knew and had seen change the oil) I would still likely go through all the lubricants and liquids anyway. That way I know for sure it's been done, and can keep tabs on it.

The fuel issues can be sending unit issues, loose wiring, etc.
The oil can be bad oil, bad bearings, bad gauge, bad sending unit, bad wiring, etc.
The water temp can be rusty scale on everything inside, bad sending unit, bad wiring, bad gauge, etc.

The only way it's going to be the IVR itself, and not the wiring between it and the gauges, is if all three gauges do the same thing at the same time. If only one reads high, the other reads low, and the third one something else, or if they do all the same things, but at different times, it's not going to be a known IVR issue. Not a normal one anyway.
Because all three gauges are on one single IVR output terminal and one single wire connector until they spread out to the individual gauges, all three should act the exact same way at exactly the same times.
Where the variations usually come in are after the IVR. Whether that's the instruments themselves, the sending units, or the wiring in-between, the IVR is usually going to be the one consistent fault in a consistent problem. Even if it's heat related (or just old age) all three gauges should see it at the same time.

I would start narrowing it down so you know for a fact you're not running improper parameters.
Yes, the engine can run at 160° if a lower temp thermostat (or no thermostat at all) is installed. Or if the sensing circuits are failing.
Oil pressure can be strange, but that's not a good sign with engine components. So we'll hope for an electrical issue for now, but verify.
Fuel readings are notoriously wacky on Broncos. Senders, floats, wiring, connectors, wrong sender for fuel tank, new sender not calibrated to the existing gauge, all sorts of things.

Let us know a little bit more about your rig if you can. New to you is new to us too. Give us a rundown if you don't mind. Shoot some detailed pics of any area you're not sure about, or are still learning about with your new Bronco.
Bronco PO's (previous owners) are also notorious. Notoriously bad at wiring fixes and mixing and matching the wrong parts, and for their desires being bigger than the Bronco's capabilities!!

Looks like you've got some pics in your garage and gallery already, so that's good. I'll check them out. But if you want some detailed shots to go here in your thread, you can either become a contributor for 12 bucks a year or you can e-mail them to me at paulb@wildhorses4x4.com and I'll post them up from here.

Anyway, start with the tests of the individual sending circuits, and verify readings with a "second opinion tool" such as a mechanical oil pressure gauge, or an infrared thermometer.
If you have dual tanks, you can run one dry and flip to the other tank (hopefully full!) to see how it runs from zero to different numbers of gallons in it. Is it (or they) a stock tank?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, great looking Bronco! Nicer than 90% of the other ones recently purchased I'm sure!

And someone, at least one of the Bronco's previous owners, paid a lot of attention to detail and took really good care of it. At least that's what it looks like from the pics.
That's a great place to start from!
If the wiring is in as good a shape as the rest of the Bronco, then you're ahead of the game at least.
But even perfectly coiffed Broncos get old too, so you still might have mechanical issues. But I'm more inclined at this point to think that you have simple sending unit issues.

I would never say never when it comes to an electrical component such as an Instrument Voltage Regulator, but what I said still holds. That's if the symptoms are inconsistent between the three gauges, then the chance that it's an IVR issue drops 99.848% to the bottom of the list.

With new battery cables it looks like yours has, check to be sure that whoever installed the negative battery ground also installed an extra ground wire to the body. Ford did, but the way they did it means that most people miss it when putting in a new one.

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, since you don't really know the truck I wouldn't assume anything.
I agree the IVR is not the problem.
If you are a tool nut kind of guy you good get a digital thermometer and and oil pressure gauge.
Maybe there is no thermostat in the engine.
The thing with some engines is the oil pressure can drop when the engine is hot, but your temp gauge says the engine is cold.
I would change the oil right away with a top brand name
10w-40. If you have low pressure you want a thicker oil.
Maybe 20w-50.
Unless you already changed it.
Also did you look in the radiator and make sure it is full?
It is time to figure this out.
Good luck

OP
OP
lewain

lewain

Thanks for the comments.
Yes, the truck is in great shape. I have changed all fluids, new shocks, and most all of the bushings. Also, tinted the windows. I am going to install a Vintage A\C starting tomorrow night. I am going to try and track down my cluster issues as well.
Oh and it has a 351w in it that runs extremely well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lucky guy. Said both seriously (regarding the cool Bronco) and sarcastically (for starting your A/C install)!;D
You should enjoy the results, but it is definitely fiddly work.

One thing I try to remember to bring up to all new Bronco owners is transfer case lube, and most importantly, the rear wheel bearings.
Any chance you got paperwork or can ask the PO if the rear wheel bearings were ever replaced? They don't live forever, and right about now most Broncos being sold have well over 100k miles on them, along with those 43+ years of grease getting too old to do it's job.
While servicing the rear brakes is the perfect time to inspect the bearings, but if your brakes are in as good a shape as the rest of the rig, you won't be working on brakes anytime soon.
Worth mentioning then, since the bearings are a pretty critical safety item.

The proper transfer case lube is officially 50w motor oil. Whether regular or non-detergent, motor oil is specified for it's additives not eating away at soft metals like bronze bushings and sliders.
Some (most?) gear lubes have additives that attack them instead. Personally, and for many of us here, we like to use 75w/90 gear lube, but try to make sure that we use a product that specifically states "not harmful to yellow metals" or something to that effect.

Good luck with the Bronco and the A/C install!
Let us know how it works out.

Paul

OP
OP
lewain

lewain

Thanks for the heads up on the rear bearings. I have paperwork from a shop in Odessa Texas where front and rear end as well as transfer case were completely gone through and serviced. I believe in 2012 but, I will double check.
Actually looking forward to the A\C install. I love a challenge.