• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H4 headlight conversion fitment issue

darkmagus

Has anyone else had an issue with the rubber seal on the back of the h4 headlight hitting the spring mount on the grill? The headlight won’t seat all the way into the bucket. I got the kit for Christmas and I think it came from wild horses.

241d91733634f5e35cf5553786fc9747.jpg

OP
OP
darkmagus

darkmagus

Ok well I got them in. Found a way to bend the spring perches back a little without distorting the rest of the grill. That little thing is surprisingly stubborn!

Last edited:

Kbpony

That’s interesting. I had the opposite problem. After inserting the headlights, the chrome trim retaining ring screws were tight and the bulb was still loose. I ended up using some self-stick spacers to tighten things up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, interesting. Used to be a very common issue with some brands of lights, but didn't know ours had ever been causing trouble!
Yes, the tabs can bend, and yes they're stubborn as all get out! But if all it takes is a tiny bit of a bend, you're in good shape.
The real trouble was the lamp housings that were so large that they flat out did not fit in the stock buckets.

Some brands were apparently tested on old Jeeps, or probably some British or European cars, but the North American cars (at least the ones I've had) used shallower buckets and fit a different standard bulb.

The big ones required cutting of the bucket, or getting a different lamp.
I'm glad yours fit with little tweaking, but sorry you had to go through the hassle in the first place.

Interested to hear what others have experienced.
Were these a current offering of ours (such as the #6107), or an older one you picked up a long time ago?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
darkmagus

darkmagus

No problem! I just got this grill second hand last year so the tabs may have gotten bent the other way somehow. My driver side required much less bending than the passenger.