• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

h4 headlight kit

cams-76

my bronco has never been able to run high beams i have been told i need to run new wiring. will the h4 kit with the wiring harness take care of this? are these brighter than stock?

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
my bronco has never been able to run high beams i have been told i need to run new wiring. will the h4 kit with the wiring harness take care of this? are these brighter than stock?

Yep, they are brighter than stock. The wiring kit should employ 30 relays for high and low beams. The head light switch will only be used to pick up a 300 "milliamp" relay. That's 300 times 1/100 of an ampere then the relays send power straight from the battery to the lights. There is circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. Too much ampere to "high beam" and the breaker opens up.
When you say you can't run high beams, does that mean they come on then go off or never come on? If they don't come on period, then check the dimmer switch on the floor board. It could have the high beam contacts burnt out.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
The HID kits are great and very bright but the answer to you question is yes. The H4 kit with the wiring harness upgrade will solve your problem and the H4 is brighter than stock.

OP
OP
C

cams-76

my stock setup when on high beams will work for a little while and then the lights go off completely.are the hid kits right at $500+ a set? not sure if i am looking at the right stuff on the page. thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. A relay kit should get rid of your "turning off" issue, as well as most likely brighten up your stock lamps very noticeably.
As said too, the new H4 lamps are an upgrade in themselves. If you're still running truly stock type incandescent sealed beams, then the difference is literally night and day. If at some point in the past one of the PO's upgraded to halogen sealed beams, then the difference will depend on what quality light they put in at the time.

But the relays are definitely an upgrade over stock wiring. Still running my original '71 switch that was giving me trouble 25 years ago just like yours. Put some uprated H4 bulbs in and was playing around with the high-beams when it started. Good wiring (for it's age) but couldn't handle the extra wattage of my 55/100's!;);D

Paul

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
Glad I seen this thread, I have had the same problem for years turn the brights on
and they turn off in a couple minutes. Good info thanks