• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hammer's trailer build thread.

darkmagus

Subscribed. I'm very interested in how this turns out. I may have to build one in the distant future.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
OK,I only have one question.....When in the hell do you sleep? You are one driven individual.Can't wait to see the finished trailer...Unevent 2013??

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
OK,I only have one question.....When in the hell do you sleep? You are one driven individual.Can't wait to see the finished trailer...Unevent 2013??

I get fixated. No NHL this year so I need something to fill the void.

Unevent 2013??

Maybe, But I do think this trailer may be my ticket into the cb calendar.:-X

Last edited:
OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking I may have to do some work to the rear of the wheel wells. I had to place the flares further back then you normally would on a bronco in order to clear the tool box in the passenger side of the bed and to give a little better tongue weight. Its not like its gonna flex a ton, I'll have to see once I get the frame made and 35's situated.

Right now I'm expecting to have to modify the wheel wells and if that's the case I'm not sure that small cargo tool box is gonna be worth the work.

AZ69EB

I love your trailer build. Any thoughts to removing the glass from the front window and adding some sheet metal? It looks like a rock magnet if you have mud terrain tires.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
I love your trailer build. Any thoughts to removing the glass from the front window and adding some sheet metal? It looks like a rock magnet if you have mud terrain tires.

Thanks, your probably right.

I will have a toolbox, propane tank and possibly a water tank on the tongue (will probably put the water tank underneath with a skid plate) so a rock would have to make it through all that. Not saying it couldn't happen but I think I'll try it as is first. If I do end up breaking the glass it won't be the end of the world to pull the liftgate, weld it up, repaint and reinstall.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Keep it up Hammer! Interesting what you are building and looking forward to seeing how it turns out! ;D

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Will we get to see it by unevent hammer?

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 38.5's

Maybe. Not certain if I'm going down next year or not yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
held up a bit right now with my axle. I got my drums/hubs and brakes to swap over to the 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern but when I went to install it turns out the 3500lb axles I bought are actually 2000lb. Spindles use different size bearings. So I gotta source something else while trying to unload these paper weights that I bought.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
So picked up one of these on sale - http://www.princessauto.com/pal/pro...les/3,500-lb-4-in.-Drop-Trailer-Axle-Assembly

Swapped the hubs off for these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-Brakes-...s_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

And then shortened it to 60", a little wider than a bronco 9" but will equal out with having 14.50" wide tires on the truck vs 12.50" on the trailer.

Tossed the axle under the trailer to try and gauge what it was going to take to get the ride height that I wanted and help me figure out what materials I was going to use for a frame.

So this is where I'm at;

rps20121116_160302.jpg

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
I picked up all my metal for the frame today. Hope to have it done by the end of the weekend. What would you guys suggest in the way of mounting the box to the frame? Should I have some sort of bushing in there or should I just hard mount it?

I went to the local auto parts store and ordered in some 2 3/4" x 3/4" round polyurethane bushings. Just wondering if you think they'll make any difference? Any trailer I've ever made in the past was a solid frame with a plank floor, not a body on frame type setup.

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
Frame is built and the axle is hung. All body mounts have been made on the frame and box using the poly bushings mentioned above.

rps20121201_211226.jpg

rps20121201_211250.jpg

roan65

Loc.
Alaska
Poly mounts will work fine. The reason they use rubber or poly for cab mounts is to help reduce vibration and noise transfer through the frame. Pickup beds are usually bolted directly to the frame because noise and vibration transfer is a non issue. I love your build! Keep up the great work.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
More detailed pics of that axel!!! Dropped spindle and brakes?!?! SAWEEEEET!!!!

Bronco Biff

Contributor
Ok. I have mulled over this thread for half and hour. This thing is excellent and the work you are doing is fantastic!!! Love the plan!! ....from lesson learned and for you to consider as fast as you are moving on this, you are planning on amenities and propane and water........I used an on demand hot water heater that runs off one d size battery (last a couple of years) and poly tubing with push to connect fittings that allow for disassemble and reassembly-reconfiguration very easily. If you were considering heat, think about a catalytic type radiant unit. doesn't require power and wouldn't create a draft in the small area you have to heat even if you add some type of tent like your pictures show....find your water tank now while you have the bady off the frame to make any mods. I found a 25 gallon that was like 9x15x48 for like $30 with the fittings on it ready to go..... instead of cluttering up this fine build with my junk, I'll start another thread on the never ending trailer build of my Bronco Hauler.