• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harbor freight tube bender and notcher

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If your going to buy a regular tubing bender then another one worth a look is the JD Squared Model 3. I've only had mine for about a month but have been very impressed with both JD Squared and their products. The bender is very solid and their customer service seems to be top notch.

http://www.jd2.com/m3b.htm

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I have a feeling that Santa might be bringing me this for Christmas:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_628_628
I don't know for that I'm getting this. But I've heard all about how some gift that I'm getting is SO heavy. And a tubing bender is the only thing I can think of that I want that would be so heavy. And my wife asked me about the Northern Tool website about a month ago. Will this not work to build a roll cage? Ya'll have me worried now.:eek:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FerrumCampitor said:
I have a feeling that Santa might be bringing me this for Christmas:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_628_628
I don't know for that I'm getting this. But I've heard all about how some gift that I'm getting is SO heavy. And a tubing bender is the only thing I can think of that I want that would be so heavy. And my wife asked me about the Northern Tool website about a month ago. Will this not work to build a roll cage? Ya'll have me worried now.:eek:
The quality of the bends will not be as nice as they would with a regular tubing bender. (That is actually a pipe bender) You need to be careful not to bend the angles too sharp or it will crimp the tubing. Filling the tubing with sand or using a big spring around it as was also suggested above are both tricks that can help keep it from kinking.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
And how do I keep the sand in the tube while bending it?

The spring idea sounds good too. I may have to try that. Or maybe I'll get lucky and this "heavy" gift is something else entirely. :)

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Thanks guys. I think I am going to get the protools or jd. They both look like great products.

thanks
matt

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
OK here's a question. Lets say that I am getting the PIPE bender. If I were to exchange it for a tubing bender, is there one made for around $200-$250 thats any good? AND will a tubing bender bend pipe?

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I bought a Lowbuck tubing bender and enough 1.75 tubing to build 2 cages cheaper than i could buy 1 Crab cage. NOT throwing off on Crab cages. I really like the lowbuck bender. I dont remember the website but you could google it and find it. Their # is 800-735-7844, If it hasnt changed.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
LOL, funny you said "lowbuck". The name of the place it William's Lowbuck Tools! LOL All they have is a 3/4" tube bender for $165 and a hydraulic bender for $510. Then you also have to spend $250 for each die. Doesn't sound so low buck to me. :(

But thanks for the info!

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Seems the JD and PT kits are about the same cost...high $500-low $600. This includes one set of dies of your size choice.
These will last you forever and your buddies that need something done will have to put a few $$$ in the bender useage fund.
I'm currently mooching my friends HMP200 to do the cage in the 'cow. I will have one of these things when I get a chance and will not even bother with the pipe bender as it is designed for something totally different.

Need something bent? come on over;D .

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
FerrumCampitor said:
LOL, funny you said "lowbuck". The name of the place it William's Lowbuck Tools! LOL All they have is a 3/4" tube bender for $165 and a hydraulic bender for $510. Then you also have to spend $250 for each die. Doesn't sound so low buck to me. :(

But thanks for the info!
You get one die with it. You pick which size you want. I got mine with a 1.75 die for 510.00. It dont matter what kind of tubing bender you get you have to pay extra for dies. I have one of the pipe benders from harbour freight also and it is only good for making small bends in pipe not tubing. Im real happy with the lowbuck but if you dont want to pay that for one of those you are not going to find better for cheaper.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I've been getting by using an electricians bender for all my bending but If need to get one for myself, It would be to build it using Pro Tools dies or to get the JD2 bender..
M3B_1.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an HF 20-ton pipe bender..its a beast..and not even shown on HF's site any more, so I guess they discontinued it. It's great for bending pipe and solid or very heavy wall stuff like the DOM I use for making track bars and such.

I also have a ProTools 105 HD..and for the 650 or so bucks that one costs for the package deal, its some of the best money I've spent.