• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anybody been following the new Concept Bronco

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
I was looking around on the net and stumbled across the concept bronco. They said that it would be in production in 2009. with a 2.0 diesel. It looks to me like an escape with attitude. whats your thoughts

just type CONCEPT BRONCO in a search engine

ransil

Bronco Guru
It will make an appearance at Carlisle all Ford show this comming weekend.

Slowpony

If it can't be driven off road, like the Excape or the Explorer, which from what I've read it won't be able to, it'll bomb. You may see it in production, but it won't be anything that's compitant offroad like the early broncos or the current heeps. Park it in the garage next to the CRV.
If that's their plan I'd rather see the name plate left in the past.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Unless they went back to the drawing board the general consensus here is that the thing they planned to call the new Bronco wasn't worthy to carry the same name. The Bronco name deserves a much better platform that would make it an offroad vehicle to compete with the likes of the Rubicon.

Scotty

About six months ago I had a real hard on for a new Defender 90. It has a 5 cylinder diesel and according the the Land Rover UK site gets 28 mpg combined. I don't recall the HP / Torque numbers on that engine. At that time, exchange rates brought the purchase price to about $30,000. I was considering importing the German model for personal use. Turns out I can't. One of the reasons they stopped importing them in 97 (?) was that they didn't have airbags. They still don't.

It may be blasphemy to suggest it here, but that wouldn't be a bad platform upon which to develop a new Bronco.

It won't come to that though; from what I hear Rover and Ford are redesigning the Defender to bring it back to the US. My guess is that they'll turn a great 4x4 into something lame.

mo-bronco

Makes you wonder if something is up because of all the toys based on the concept bronco. I've found 3 or 4 different types and sizes.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Talked to my buddy who is a design engineer for Ford. He said that the latest version (two since the 2004 auto show) was shit-canned. They are working on something on another platform but it is still on the drawing board... He tells me that whatever it will end up being, they are not shooting for good off-road vehicle.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Last I heard it was being developed on the Festiva platform and was being aimed at X-gens who buy Scion X-Boxes, not people who buy Rubicons. But the design is based on the 2004 concept Bronco - "edgy" they called it.

Supposed to market for under $10K.

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Well I'm not happy about it at all.

But for under ten grand, I'll buy one and make it 4x4 worthy. Maybe put a defender underneath the body. ;)

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Scoop said:
Last I heard it was being developed on the Festiva platform and was being aimed at X-gens who buy Scion X-Boxes, not people who buy Rubicons. But the design is based on the 2004 concept Bronco - "edgy" they called it.

Supposed to market for under $10K.

That was the latest one they scrapped... No loss there.