• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anybody used a Mass-Flo efi system?

theshadow

Hey guys,
I was looking into aftermarket efi systems and came across the Mass-Flo.
It looks pretty slick and I like that it is truly a mass-air system. I have a 302 in a '77. Has anybody used the Mass-Flo system? Pros/Cons? Any thoughts appreciated!

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I am running his computer, harness, chip. It is basically a 5.0 setup with a modified intake and mass air meter. Uses all the same connections as the stock 5.0. Really cool!!

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I agree it looks like a great system, but it isn't cheep. I saw they used one of those on a Overhaulin show last year. They seemed to really like it, and I know Chip Foose wouldn't put crap on one of his builds.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I looked at that setup and think it's a neat idea , however , I wonder about low end torque using the Victor open plenum . Everything I can find points to long runners for low end and short for mid and high rpms .

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wow pricey is an understatement, but looks like a great system. I guess the one thing you dont count sometimes is your time when installing a ford system. Does anybody have a cost comparison between ford mass air and something like mass flo. I would not even consider the other after market systems

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
new ford eec harness is still for sale $205. great condition engine harness is everywhere for cheap. mustang guys give away their intakes, rails, meter, tb, etc.. for free. eec is readily available.

no reason to pay that kind of money.

you want perfect driveability? can't beat factory.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is pretty hard to run the factory stuff on a stroker motor.

Nothing a good tuner can't cure- I am running a FRP complete harness, stock rails, 30lb inj, 65tb/70ma, Trick Flow track heat upper and 351 lower, Al. heads, 1.6 roller rockers, Comp. Cams lumpy stick, AOD '92 computer with a custom burned chip. He did have to address my fuel system a bit :) 392 stroker with 300 rwh running a C4, Atlas 4.3 and 40" MTRs
FWIW

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'll pay for simple anyday on my stroker mill. . My time is money...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
it's a nice set up. very well done. pricey but nice. fired right off when the key was turned the first time for initial blast off. lots of wiring to deal with and package, but i doubt it's any more than any other system.
hoping to start driving it soon.
this is on a 408 by Anderson Performance Engines.

Attachments

• DSC03187.JPG
    DSC03187.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC03186.JPG
    DSC03186.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 72

minimatt

I looked at that setup and think it's a neat idea , however , I wonder about low end torque using the Victor open plenum . Everything I can find points to long runners for low end and short for mid and high rpms .

Last time I talked to Chris he said they were using a Performer RPM type of intake. You would probably see a drop in low end torque using the carb type manifold on the dyno, versus the long runner factory EFI set-up, but I doubt you would notice it seat of the pants. Stick a blower on it and there is no issue;D

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Nothing a good tuner can't cure- I am running a FRP complete harness, stock rails, 30lb inj, 65tb/70ma, Trick Flow track heat upper and 351 lower, Al. heads, 1.6 roller rockers, Comp. Cams lumpy stick, AOD '92 computer with a custom burned chip. He did have to address my fuel system a bit :) 392 stroker with 300 rwh running a C4, Atlas 4.3 and 40" MTRs
FWIW

By that I meant. Intake manifold, mass air meters, injectors, throttle body, etc. dtock 5.0 stuff could never keep up. I realize the harness and computer can stay. I am running a chipped A9L on my 427W. Chris is using the factory ford computer and Ryan McCormick Harness.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
By the time you factor in all the parts you'll need for a stroked 351W, (intake. wiring harness, computer, sensors, injectors, MAF, throttle body, chip, custom tune) and your time/frustration, Mass-Flow doesn't look like a bad deal.

I've priced bigger injectors, bigger MAF, bigger throttle body and a custom tune for my 5.8l. Just a chip and custom tune will run $500+. I was recently quoted $650 for this at a local Mustang shop. It's not a cheap and easy deal. Mine runs fine with the Mustang stuff, but I know it could be much better with a custom chip and tune and mine is stock. There's a big difference from just getting it to run with junk yard parts to getting it to run right and getting all of the engines potential. EFI (that will fit under the hood) on anything but a stockish 302 can be expensive.

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
3k bucks doesn't look like a bad deal?

factory ford will work just fine with a stroker. meter that is cal'd correctly and you will have no issues.

i've run 36 and 42 lb injectors that were spot on for driveability with pro-m, pmas and even the dreaded c&l meter. right now i'm running 60lb injectors with an old pro-m universal meter (360 deg sampling). with no tuning i had a hot start problem (rich) had to floor it to start it. corrected via sct chip tune, i have the software so its a non issue.

if somebody has 3k to spend go for it. if your against factory ford, there are different cheaper options like, megasquirt, aem, accel, etc... some will not be plug in play and require tuning.

i like to preach the factory ford stuff because it is basically plug and play except for running your fuel pump and there hardly anything to that also.

mass flo's setup from the pictures seem to be adapted from ford also.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I'm just curious how it can be so self adaptive and why companies like fel-pro, accel, aem and the others mentioned havent done something similar??

I personally dont think that price is that bad when you add up what you get, hell that throttle body is worth $$ by itself, if you look at some of the prices for a good aftermarket throttle body(not throttle body injection just the actual aftermarket throttle bodies) set up.

I dont think its any 'better' than stock Ford stuff, just different and a lot of people are willing to pay to be different.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I like different. Holley commander 950 system. And yes it needs to be tuned. that alone will make you learn more about fuel injection. it's not plug and play. It's plug and play with.

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 40